1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Domestic cat taxidermy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by DarkCoyote, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DarkCoyote

DarkCoyote New Member

Couple questions for you all. I'm a bit of a newbie still, so bear with me. Where on earth can I get domestic cat eyes? Or an eye that would work for a domestic cat? I looked at bob eyes but they are all golden and I need green eyes. Waiting for warmer weather to skin the cat out and get measurements, but would be nice to know where I can get some nice eyes from. Even better if it's a Canadian supplier so I don't have the customs headache lol.

Second question here is, since obviously no domestic cat form exists and a bob is going to be the wrong proportions close as it is, would you suggest trying to cast a form or wrap/sculpt one? I am leaning towards the latter as I have sculpted forms for tiny things with carcass as ref, so I'm kinda familiar with that. I've never casted anything in my life, but maybe it's worth trying? Does casting give better results? Is there a way to cast you don't need to cut the legs off? I would like to articulate the skeleton after, so cutting legs off is less than ideal. I'm planning a stalking pose if that makes a difference.

Lastly (probably dumb question), but what do you do for the head on a wrapped form? I've only wrapped forms for birds and you use the skull there, but I assume you don't on a mammal right? Do you handle it the same way as the body? Wrap and clay as needed? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advise! :)

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Personally would probably wrap a form, but I don't have much experience casting or sculpting. Here is a link for a tutorial on casting, if you choose that routehttp://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,127359.0.html You can find eyes at http://www.glasseyes.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?terms=cat You'll just need to determine the color and size you need.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

You cast the head and rebuild the details

4. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Get your cat eyes directly from Tohickon.

5. DarkCoyote

DarkCoyote New Member

Ah thank you for the link! I'll look at Tohickon if they have other eyes on their site. I was just looking at their stock on Mckenzie so didn't know they had other colours. Heard good things about them though.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on wrapping mammals? Everything I've found and practiced with is birds. I have some of the Jonas and breakthrough books, as well as some additional taxidermy books but the images aren't totally clear to me on a few points. I'm more a visual learner. As much as I would love to try carcass casting, it sounds difficult and probably it's best to stick to wrapping/sculpting which I'm more familiar with and have at least some experience on-even if it's a different species.

6. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

Have it freeze dried

7. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Here's one from fellow Taxidermy.net member "Snowhare" Jerome Bennema. Probably your best bet as far as a video specifically for domestic cats. Hope it helps! :)

http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=202&Category_ID=1&Sub_Category_ID=14

8. I carcass casted one this year in a sleeping pose, it's not that hard to do

9. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

We do a lot of pets and in my opinion , keep it simple. Forget the stalking pose and go for lying down
    You can directly carcass cast, using plaster, allow mold to dry , wax and waste mold the plaster.
    Your best range of eyes are available from European suppliers , try eyedentity products UK.