1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP....What is wrong with my deer...can we correct the ear?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kkirkemtp, Jan 11, 2014.

1. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Hello everyone, I just got my deer back and there just seems to be something wrong with the mount and I can't put my finger on it. I clearly don't know what I am looking at so I wanted to reach out to you experts for help. The one thing in particular I am looking at that I DO NOT like is the (animal's) left ear. It does not clearly show the drop tine like I would want. The mount was just finished and the hair in the thick of the front part of the neck feels kind of "sticky" so it may still be a little damp. (Total turn-a-round time from drop off to return was less than a month) The taxidermist is a family member who is still fairly new at mounting (he has done probably 15 or so deer). I am attaching pictures of the mount and pictures of the deer right after the harvest so you can see before caping.

My questions:
    1. What is wrong with the mount that my untrained eye doesn't see? or is it just the ear covering the Drop tine that is bothering me? (not concerned about minute details)
    2. Can the ear covering the drop-tine be corrected? How?

Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Re: HELP....What is wrong with my deer.

It would be hard for me to expect a mount that looked like someones millionth mount from a guy who has done only 15. The turn around time is about 6 to 9 months sooner than most taxidermists. It is totally possible to give customer a dry and finished mount in two weeks.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

First of all there are no pictures. And second why would you not take your deer to a professional taxidermist. Let me guess you got a great deal. Now you have to live with a poor quality mount

4. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

You are correct...I didn't expect and don't expect a perfect mount. I am just not happy with the way his ear covers his drop tine. That really is the only issue I have and would like corrected if possible. Is it just a matter of moving the position of the ear(s) and is that possible?

5. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Sorry TazzyMoto I did not know how to post the pictures. I updated them.

Yes, I could have taken the deer to someone else. And I should update my original post to say....Can I fix the Ear(s)...Matter of fact....I will do that now before too many people see it.

Like I said in the post...the person is a family member and has done my last 4-5 deer with no complaints....just don't like the ear covering the drop tine on this one. That may be what it is that seems "wrong" to me. Of Course I get a deal....I only pay for supplies and He does the work...I usually throw in some $$ for him too. Every one of the "Professional Taxidermists" started somewhere....that is what he is doing and I am happy helping him out.

6. buckman170

buckman170 Member

If your deer has been tanned, then yes you can change the ear position, if it been dp'd then I'm affraid your sol.

7. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

To answer your question directly you can reposition the ear , take some wet rags and wrap around the ear base then cover the rags with plastic ,you may have to rehydrate them for several days until the ear is moveable , then set the ear like you want it , and your done, it can be done with a tanned hide easier but it will work with a dry preserved hide also

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

If thats your only complaint take it back to him and ask him to fix it simple. He should know how to do it but if not he needs to rehydrate that ear and ear butt and twist it back behind the tine if thats all you are looking for. If you want us to point out "What is wrong with the mount that my untrained eye doesn't see? or is it just the ear covering the Drop tine that is bothering me? (not concerned about minute details)" and "there just seems to be something wrong with the mount and I can't put my finger on it." We could do that but you won't like what anyone here will have to say about it. If you are ok with the mounts you are getting that is fine and you can have him fix this one to your liking easily.

9. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Thanks everyone...I will see what I can do. T3_Kyle.... YES I would, and I am sure he would LOVE the feedback critique from professionals. It will help him improve and me know the difference in a poor-good-great mount.

Please remember his is new at this so critique at will, but please don't attack. If you would like to add why or how to prevent whatever you see, that would be great as well.

THANKS!!!

10. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Re-wetting the ears trick....

Again, I do not claim to be a Taxidermist....but thought I would share this little trick that was extremely easy for wetting the ears to move them.

Supplies:
    (2) Gallon size Ziplock bags with the "Zipper"
    (2) Hand Towels or Wash Cloths

I soaked the was cloths and placed them around the base of the ears then simply slid the zipock bag over the ear and wet cloth and used the "Zipper" to snug the bag around the ear and keep all the moisture focused at the base of the ears. It also helped control the "run-off" keeping it in one spot per ear (dripping slowly down the neck) rather than several spots.

I am sure some of you have another method or two...but I thought this was way too cool not to share!

Attached Files:

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Now that I see a picture you are correct about the ear. It is something you should have discussed with your taxidermist before as an ear back on that side would show off the drop tine better. Tell your taxidermist that he can learn a lot by joining this web site and his local taxidermy association.

12. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Thanks Tanglewood...

To my Taxidermist's defense, he called me and told me that mounting in a "normal" position would block the tine. He suggested an "upright" position and sent me a picture of it. I felt like it made the deer look more like a "Jackass" than deer. I said just do the normal position because we chose a right turn to show off the drop...I thought that would make the tine more visible. But, as you can see....that was not the case....I should of had him send me a pic. of them in this position.

13. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Once the ear base is wet and malleable (around the basses...I understand the ear forms are immobile) is it a simple matter of just putting the ear where I want it or is the ear mounted to the form limiting movement? I am thinking about maybe sweeping it backward similar (not as drastic) as in the harvest picture. Will that be possible or will I be limited?

Attached Files:

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wts do a number of things with their ears rotation wise. There really isn't a "normal" position. Not sure what that means. Something it what I call a listening pose would have been great to show off that drop.

15. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Hopefully the ear butts were formed with clay that will make them easier to move when the skin rehydrates , if plastic ear butts were used your going to have a hard time, You may have to open the seam up and remove the plastic ear butts and replace with clay

16. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Ears are only the tip of the iceburg on that mount, if I shot a buck like that I would spare no expense on the best professional taxidermist I could afford.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You're getting this deer mounted at a rock bottom price & post this? Really? Why do people even give you advice? You're a tight ass who wants to corner this kid into getting better so you can still be a tight ass & when he improves can say 'look what I did for you!'.... what you did is bring his inability to even please a tight ass who pays for materials & then slides him a few dollars to make yourself feel good when in reality if you wanted to help you'd research, find his best education which is likely his state association and offer to help him get there. You're trying to shame him into doing better work at a low rate for you..... no wonder you do not take it to a professional, we have all dealt with your kind and will not accept your work after the first encounter.

18. What a waste of a nice deer.

19. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Haha Mike P hit the nail on the head. I can finish the story and here how it goes: Years later your family member get better and asks you he needs more money to do your mounts because he thinks he's worth more and you think in your mind (if I wanted to spend more for a mount I would have taken it to someone else) He picks up on this and in the end you two end up not talking anymore! End of story been there done that

20. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

Great statement! What a complete waste of a great deer! And those ears are the least of your worries......