1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP....What is wrong with my deer...can we correct the ear?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kkirkemtp, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

There is a lot more wrong with that mount than the ears.

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

Im still not sure why anyone gives 2 sh!!ts where anyone chooses to take their deer. But I do agree that if he is not happpy he should take it back to the taxidermist that did the work.

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Besides the bad mount, I'm trying to figure out that panel, is that a wall pedestal on that panel? How do you get that gun out? It looks like you have to slide it through the deer feet. In my opinion, even the deer installation on the panel is a crappy job..

4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

poor kid. getten slammed and don't even know it. just for helping a family member.

5. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

No kidding..........

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the ears. The rest of the mount is so bad, nobody will notice the ears. Take it to a good taxidermist who has some experience. Pay to have it done right even if you have to pay for a replacement cape. Years from now do you want a mount that looks like crap or a nice looking mount that will truly remind you of the day you shot it because it looks like a live deer, not a badly stuffed animal. If you shoot a small deer and want to save $$ and don't care how it looks, take it to him. When you want something to look nice, don't take it to a beginner. All of us started out as beginners so we can speak about this. If I had shot a deer like that and I had only mounted a few deer, I would have paid to have someone else mount it back when I first started. When your friends look at the deer, do you want them to appreciate it or think how badly it's mounted? It's your choice, but that's my advice. Brutally honest, but no malice intended.

7. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Wow... That is really all I can say. It seems that all the ladies have their "cycles" going at the same time here....You are spending way too much time together apparently.

8. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

When one goes into taxidermy the first thing they need to do is eliminate "family " ( " customers ? ) , they'll kill ya.
    Mike ,you nailed it ! I had the same thoughts but didn't have the balls to write it.

9. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Considering I am a published author and the President and CEO of my company, your allegations of my financial privation are comical. You sir are a lout with the testicular fortitude of a neutered chihuahua!

I must apologize to the few helpful individuals here, but I am still in pure disbelief at the PURE LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM displayed here. I asked for critique because I don't know what I am looking for and wanted to know for personal amelioration. However, I did ask not to "attack" the taxidermist; so instead you chose me. So, at least a THANK YOU for not attacking him. I do hope you palookas are representative of the minority and not the majority of taxidermists, even if you are such.

With beneficial criticism such as: "If I were you I wouldn't worry about the ears. The rest of the mount is so bad, nobody will notice the ears. If he did it for free, you paid too much" , "Ears are only the tip of the iceburg on that mount" and "what a waste of a nice deer." it's a wonder anyone is able to improve. Unlike you narcissistic cretins, most people were not all born perfect and had to start somewhere. But then again, your refusal to provide empirical evidence supporting your claims of poor work, leads only to extrapolate your ignorance and inability to do so yourself.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Just cause you're a CEO doesn't mean you're not a tight ass.

Amy Fisher is a published author also, so don't go patting yourself on the back too hard.

Remember, you came here asking for help and advice because you were too cheap to pay a professional.

11. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

You see sir, we all know what ASS-U-ME does. I did come looking for HELP, which by the way you did NOT. But it was far from because I was TIGHT. I also did not mention this deer was a small one. I just don't have the PROFESSIONAL eye to recognize the differences between this and other mounts done by experienced artist/taxidermists.

BTW, to whomever asked: the wall plaque is just a temporary home I put it on. When my wife's gets back the plaque goes away and we are putting the two together.

12. arby

arby Member

KK, Really no disrespect meant. It's just that we professional taxidermists respect our profession as much as you or anyone else in business does. I'm sure you wouldn't let an amateur plumber repair frozen or bursting pipes in your home. Thousands of trophy deer are what, "we professionals" consider ruined every year by inexperienced taxidermists. Please excuse or passion.

13. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Well I guess ill put in my two cents. Taxidermy is a profession not a hobby, we are artist not butchers. A person has the capability of choosing the task that they perform. This guy obviously choose the wrong task to perform. We see numerous deer posted here that look just as terrible as yours. Yes, terrible! This deer should be scraped and remounted. You say " they have to start somewhere" yes; that's correct, that somewhere should be: a professional school, apprenticing under an professional taxidermist, or by spending money getting all the proper referencing and technique videos.
    These are the people who look back and wish they had those mounts back because they know the messed someone's deer back.
    As we all know the deer he takes in are illegal, I would be willing to bet he has no taxidermy possession license etc...
    Next don't come here asking advice then cry when you get something you don't expect.
    As a CEO decision making is a major part of your job, your obviously just as good as your taxidermist.
    Nice day!
    Sorry for the taxidermist I offend here, I'm just fed up with this crap! I have seen more first mounts in here in the last yea than ever before. Before long we are going to have a taxidermist for every hunter out there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. So you think practicing taxidermy should be left to the professionals and not the hobbyist butchers?

15. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Some people who do it for a hobby are great. Better than me. They can take their time per deer. If they only get 20 a year. However I think if I follow laws and rules everybody should. I have to renew my license every year, carry insurance get inspected etc... If you choose to do taxidermy do it the right way

16. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I also not saying all professionals are experts. I'm saying you knew what you was getting into. Before people go calling themselves a taxidermist they should take the proper steps and actually become one. Before you ever take a deer in get licensed. Go train under some one, go to a school, or practice on your own things and watch the proper videos. Which I personally don't feel you should just watch videos.

17. You said. . . (A person has the capability of choosing the task that they perform. This guy obviously choose the wrong task to perform.) Where did you start? Ooh in the family, I see. . . Being licensed, carring insurance and getting inspected doesn't make anyone better at the art of taxidermy. It does make you legal though. Also is your licensed and insured work so much better than that mans 15th deer that you felt the need to throw your 2 cents in or are you just a wannabe coattail rider and just figured you'd jump on the wagon too.

18. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

You tell me this is a Droptine buck that it's sort of recent.
    Your right I started from my father. Who trained under a taxidermist for 5 years before e started. Nice try though.
    I trained under him since I was able to do task. Then felt as if I needed to be better myself before taking in a customers animal so I went to michigan for a year and trained under 3 different taxidermist. Anything else you need clarified?

Attached Files:

19. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

You complaining when you new what you was getting before hand. Your mount is terrible and needs to be redone. Simple as that!

20. I don't think so Kurt-ro. You have clarified everything for me. You had me worried at first though, but now that I've seen that droptine from that angle vs. the droptine on that other deer, nothing else needs to be said. Thank you.