1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP....What is wrong with my deer...can we correct the ear?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kkirkemtp, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Samson

Samson New Member

I would love to see the after pics on the deer ear repair. After he wet the whole ear, rather then just the base, maybe he ran into some troubles, with the ear carding ;)
    Greetings, Karin

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bucrapail, I still put out some crappy work.

Bucrapail, I've tried to correct that spelling a dozen times but the site won't let me.

GEEZ, I knew I'd spelled it correctly and it STILL comes out wrong bushytail.

3. kkirkemtp

kkirkemtp New Member

Some of you have private messaged me asking about where we hunt. We hunt in Ohio with friends and family there. Here are a few of the bigger deer we have taken. I am standing in front of the one to give you a reference to the size. I am 6' tall and 340lbs I was standing about 1-2 feet in front of the mount. The taxidermist is from the area where they were killed. Not sure of his name...but everyone says he does PHENOMENAL work and is a "true artist". I took close ups of these deer and have been looking them over comparing them to the "Frankendeer." Thanks to a minute few for PM me information on "what [was] wrong" with the drop-tine buck, I have an idea what I am looking for in a good vs. bad mount.

Oh...and if you must know, the subject of my material is educational material for Paramedics, Nurses, EMTs, Firefighters and other emergency services professions. In other words, the people who run in while others are running out. So there is a really good chance that I've had a part in educating the person/people who saved the life of someone you know. But again, I only came here seeking a personal educational experience and maybe some help for another hobbyist/taxidermist.....boy was I educated!

Attached Files:

4. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

These deer are hell of a lot better looking than that first one . I would be happy to own them . In fact these deer are even better looking than you !

5. I'm glad a few guys pm'd you to actually educate you instead of just throwing harsh words. And yes those are nice bucks there.

6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

kkirk,

those are really nice deer, in fact I think you made some guys a little jealous. like I said in the pm, there are egos here that are bigger than the biggest buck ever seen.

most of the jabbing is in jest, guys poking fun and sometimes it burns. don't take all of it to personal. keep on getting the big ones.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

much much better looking mounts. Though the guy is still scary looking. Has to be on the FBI's most wanted list for something. I'd fire the drop tine buck taxidermist and hire the guy who did these mounts.

8. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

Hell I would mount your deer for free if you got me on that piece of property :eek:

9. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

To the OP. I would be pissed!!!!!

10. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Ten to one the OP is the one who mounted the deer! to arrogant to admit it.

11. Well Kelly I think you've learned a valuable lesson here. I have a deep respect for fellow Emergency Service workers and I see you have an extensive background and I applaud you for that. I too was a Paramedic before entering the Law Enforcement field in 1990 so I will always respect others who work in the field of Emergency Services.

I am also a taxidermist. Something I chose to do as a hobby years ago, I do taxidermy to reduce some of the stress from my job. You will even find people here throwing rocks at each other over a variety of topics if you stick around long. Some people disagree about the title of "taxidermist'. This is a very broad topic and there are no set guidelines as to what it takes to be one. Basically you pay your state DNR for a license and you can legally do it commercially. Does this make anyone a taxidermist.......obviously not. I consider myself a taxidermist but there a wide variety of animals I DO NOT mount and WILL NOT mount. I stick with my passion, which is deer. I throw some fish, turkey, an occasional bear, or an antelope in there. My bread and butter is deer and it's only a part time gig for me.

I guess my point it is you are tinkering with taxidermy just tell everyone and go from there. You will get some great responses and some not so great. Leave your feelings at the door. If you aren't doing any taxidermy and you were just looking at how to fix something, then I think you've learned a valuable lesson.

Here's a comparison. What if you owned, or do own an ambulance service and took great pride in providing the best service around. By this you bought the best and state of the art equipment. You sparred no expense on training and have highly qualified staff members working for you. You run a Class A business. Then down the road somebody opens another ambulance service that in no way compares to yours. Some of the employee's are downright dangerous and shouldn't be allowed to practice in the medical field at all !!!!! Guess what.... they charge way less than you do therefore your call volume is going down thus causing you to loose money! This really starts getting under your skin. The straw that finally breaks the camel's back is when someone who is transported by this new service calls you bitching about how they were treated and expects you to fix it!!!!! This could be really frustrating!!!

This is essentially what's happened here. Taxidermist here are tired of "hacks" that have no business in the field. We all agree we have to start somewhere. The new people just starting into taxidermy ask for help and critiques. Sometimes it gets ugly!!! Some just flat out say prices are too high and they can't believe our prices for taxidermy work, such as a deer heads. Some accuses us of highway robbery. Our time is valuable and we don't work for free. This is an art and I've spent a great deal of time getting to where I'm at. I'm not a national award winner because I stopped competing years ago. I didn't have the time to commit to competition mounts. I still strive to learn. Yes I'm am set in my ways on some things. Anyway I'm rambling on for right now and I may even get some negative feedback about my reply. I just know when to let it go now.

12. This was my dads deer 40 years ago on a paper form

[​IMG]

This one is around 18 years old now.

[​IMG]

13. Hacks can only hack what's brought to their doorsteps and they will continue on hacking until "Competition" is made illegal. . .That's how it works. Also, Walmart hacks prices everyday and sometimes I can't even find a damn parking spot.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    "Hacks can only hack what's brought to their doorsteps and they will continue on hacking until "Competition" is made illegal. . .That's how it works. Also, Walmart hacks prices everyday and sometimes I can't even find a damn parking spot."

Springcreek94, what the hell are you saying?
    You want the government to tell us what we can charge or have to charge, or who can perform taxidermy? Yeah, that's what we need, NOT.

15. Beartowntaxi

Beartowntaxi New Member

You must be a product of "No Child Left Behind" LOL

16. After reading my post again and I'm going to retract the "hack" comment. That was harsh and I shouldn't have said it. Most of us know what I meant by it.

17. What the hell are you talking about 3bears and what does the government have to do with my post? Yeah, maybe if competition was illegal. . .Does taxidermy hacks scare you? . . Are you scared of competition good or bad or maybe you thought you were in Current Events and just miss posted.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Spring, Hacks do not scare me in the least, scared of competition, not at all. I knew what section I posted in. I did not understand what point you were trying to make. Nothing more.
    Beartown, was that directed towards me? I assure you I don't fall in that category
    Sergeant, don't retract anything. You're post was pretty much spot on. There is no reason to sugar coat it.

19. Beartowntaxi

Beartowntaxi New Member

2 Dogs I was just wondering because your comment made absolutely no sense to me. ;)

20. Well you must have not read Sergeant's post very well or at all. I'll type it out a little different.

Poorly trained or untrained taxidermist can only do poor quality work that's brought to their doorsteps and they will continue on doing poor quality work until "Competition" is made illegal. . .That's how it works. Also, Walmart is a huge chain of stores and they can sell cheaper than the mom and pop stores, but I still go there often and sometimes I can't even find a damn parking spot because there are so many people trying to get it for a little less.