1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do you guys sell on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mikehurt88, Jan 11, 2014.

1. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

I was just looking over Ebay listing that were already completed and sold for whitetail mounts just to see what they were selling for and alot of them are going for $500-$800 for 140"-160" bucks and even more then that for larger deer. Euros ranging from $100-$160 The only thing that gets me is that those prices on the mounts are for deer that really lack in quality and don't look like they have been doing this very long especially compared to what I see alot of you guys post on here. Its a night and day difference yet they are still getting full price for these mounts. I guess thats another whole subject though.

Anyways, I'm not in this for business yet and still working my way up to it but if I ended up doing this full time down the road and I had a down year and didn't take in as many deer as I anticipated it would seem like a good resort to bring in extra money by simply mounting up old sheds and extra capes or something. Do you guys who do this for business ever sell on ebay or use it as another source of income?

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

antlers sell better than mount`s ; unless they have a large set of antlers or the taxi work is top of the line . :)

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

If you don't have very large antlers, They won't sell for much!

4. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I have a bunch of them ill sell ya for $200 and you can double your money! ;)

5. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

Better check your laws I sold one on e bay and it cost me 3500 dollar fine my hunting licence for one year and came close to going to jail for 5 days. Ofcourse every thing I know I have learned the hard way!

6. I was going to say the same exact thing. In Virginia, this is VERY ILLEGAL and they WILL catch you!

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

It's legal here in Michigan for a taxidermist to buy and sell deer capes and horns or finished mounts

8. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

Its legal in Illinois although good luck calling and talking to the IDNR about it because they are about clueless and connected me with probably 10 people before someone could actually come up with a good answer.

9. In VA, it is legal to buy and sell deer hides, but it is illegal to sell a mount unless it is an unclaimed piece. It is illegal to sell bones unless they have been fashioned into a tool or art piece. These are just examples of why you should cover yourself and do lots of research before selling online! If it's legal in your state...probably not a bad idea. :)

10. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

I had talked to a local game officer last year and he arrested a guy for selling chipmunks on e-bay.. (State of PA) he was shooting them with in the state, mounting and selling and they are protected no open season.. Officer said they look really good and If I recall it right, he had sold 25+ and had more in his posssesion... That just goes to show they do watch and if you want to roll the dice that's up to you sometimes you win , sometimes they win...

11. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

I would not suggest rolling the dice when they win they win bigtime believe me!!

12. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

Just be aware of the laws within your own state, and dont ship anything out of the country. I have sold thousands of sets of antlers of every shape and size imaginable and never have had a problem...of coarse, I know my state laws as well as what it takes to do business with a canadian buyer or seller. Its not hard to do it right.