1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What size compressor would I need...

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

to hook up 8 airbrushes? I'm sick and tired of the Craftsman compressor I have that is so loud I think it wakes up the folks in the nearest cemetery 2 miles away, not to mention vibrates the logs in my log home. ;D I actually placed the darn thing in my shop bathroom with the airline through the wall and it made no difference! I've had it for at least 15 years and it won't die either. ;D I'd like to send it out the garage!

I have the opportunity to purchase a used silent air one that has the following specs:

1/5 HP, 0.4 Gallon Tank
    0.7 CFM Free Air
    88 PSI Operating Pressure

Will this one do?

Thoughts?

2. CraigW

CraigW Member

Are you going to be spraying multiple air brushes at once? then enough air volume will be needed to accommodate them, otherwise if you only use one at a time the compressor only has to handle one brush, no matter how many you have hooked up, unless you have leaks

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Unless you're running air tools as well why not the SilentAire 20A? I know that's what I'm going to once my pancake carps out. Bit pricy, but think what you'll save on hearing aids - lol! As Craig mentioned, how many will you be blasting at once?

P.S. Those specs sound familiar. Let me know if you don't buy the used 20A as I'm interested.

P.S.S. IF you're going to buy it, do it quickly! If it's advertised, used SilentAires go quickly and especially if the price is right. Heck, I've been looking on CL around here for three years and I missed ONE used one that came up for sale. Guy sold it in a couple of hours...

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Guys, yes only one air brush at a time but wasn't sure if I was missing something as in with all the airlines were full at once it would make a difference. Heck if the thing kicks on now and then so what if it's fairly quiet! My monster Craftsman upright kicks on when it doesn't have too!

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil....go to Tractor supply and buy a standup compressor that is mounted on top of a reserve tank. They have several sizes and reasonable prices. Size is up to you. I have one and love it...JL

6. FishArt

If you're going to go the noisy route, at least stay away from the direct drives. The belt driven compressors seem a tad quieter.

The way I see it, A Silentaire will run you around $500 bucks new. If you do this for another 10 years that's $50 bucks a year BEFORE the tax write-off as well. Then, due to their demand you can still probably get a few hundred bucks for it after 10 years if it's still working properly. No brainer IMO. Save your ears.

Tell you what, buy the 20A and if it doesn't fit your needs you can sell it to me as long as you don't screw me on the used price - lol!

7. Oiled vs oil less is a huge factor in the noise of a compressor. Belt drive does help.

8. FishArt

I'm guessing that's the reason the direct drives are noisier because they're all oil-less if I'm not mistaken, and visa-versa with the belts?

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

JL.

Why would I want to do that? I already have a compressor that works fine. I'm trying to get away from the noise! ;)

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Ya know, you talk about the noise and I have to laugh. I have a smaller one from Blowes, I mean Lowes and it rocks the house when it come on....lol. The problem sometimes isnt just me hating that noise but my wife hates it too.
    There have been times, I've forgot to hit the off switch and blow out of the basement in a hurry. I have a very slight air leak and it will take a loong time for it kick on again, .....BUT....... when it does, it's usually at 2 or 3 in the morning when we are in bed. Not good. The wife doesnt like that too much....LOL.

11. FishArt

Been there, done that Brian! I only have a cheap Sears Craftsman 2 gallon pancake right below one of my reference tables so I can use the regulator right there. The table deflects the noise a bit, but crummy set-up. I usually walk away if I'm painting and it starts going off. I did recently repair a pin hole on the bottom with some JB Weld. It turned out being about an 1/8" hole after digging out the rust. I never bleed the moisture out. I use to, but laziness and the fact that barely anything builds up in it - I just don't care! It's going on 15 years old now and still works fine. The 20A replacement will work just ducky for me because it's quiet enough it too can sit right next to me while painting and no need for another regulator. Once in a blue moon my pancake will go off in the middle of the night. But, since I plugged the hole it'll only do it once IF I forget to shut it off. Use to be the leak was loud enough I'd remember to shut it off usually - lol!

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You too?! We're three floors up in the loft and the SOB kicks on!

13. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Been using a little iwata smart jet for almost seven years now. I think I gave 179 for it( I like how Marty Breaks it down). I control psi by sound and feel with the PAC valve Paul b sells. I love not having an big air compressor kick in any more. A silent air will be my next purchase if this little smart jet ever one ever dies.

14. HA! Seems many of us suffer from this!! I have a 20 gallon upright in an insulated closet... it's not so much the noise but the vibration. We can feel it 2 floors up. I would go for the SilentAire. As Marty mentioned, seems like a sound investment! (pun intended) But seriously, you get what you pay for. I also have one of those cheapo Harbor Freight airbrush compressors that I picked up 6 years ago. I think I've only painted 20 to 30 fish with it, but it works well when I need it and it's quiet. It won't work when using a stipple tip and it gets in the way; I've become partial to shop-air (I've got lines run and quick releases set up) which is set up with the noisy upright. I painted almost 60 reproductions in under two months and by the end was wishing for a SilentAire. With all the reproduction work though, I don't think a silentaire would have met all my needs. For the painting yes, but I am using compressed air to run pnuematic sanders and for blowing away the steel wool dust etc from antiquing blanks. So, if you're doing mostly skin mounts in the traditional sense, silentaire would be wonderful!

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to say I almost had one on Ebay for about $161.00 not including shipping. I realized after bidding I needed the money in the checking account for some other things and didn't want it to fall back on my CC. So I stopped bidding and someone surpassed my bid for a dollar. Oh well next time.

I called Marty and told him if he was interested to bid on it. Marty said he got side tracked and forgot to. Marty's not sure it was in that good of shape anyway.

16. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

You have a leak. Find it and fix it.

17. DanB

DanB New Member

[​IMG]

I bought one of these ultra quiet California air compressors, 6 gallon, Pretty darn quiet. I like it. There are different sizes and styles available. I purchased it through home depot online. Not sold in stores. Kinda cheap price, free shipping. Can run several brushes etc. Very low noise.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

How many decibels? Quiet can be a relative thing. :)

19. What craftsman do you have Cecil. Is it oiled and belt driven?

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No. It's a monster one that is upright.