1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

sheep horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Robyn Rocke, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Robyn Rocke

Robyn Rocke New Member

I removed the horns from 3 aoudad sheep by rotting them off. After cleaning the horn shells and boiling the skulls and allowing everything to dry, the shape of the horns will not allow them to be slid all of the way back on the skulls. Is there something I can do to soften the horns to make them fit again? I understand it is not good to boil sheep horns. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Rob

2. Jason O

Jason O New Member

Wi
    dip the horns in hot water for a few minutes..

3. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Cut some of the core off then you should be able to get it on. You don't need all of it or you can grind it until you can slide it on hope this helps

4. Robyn Rocke

Robyn Rocke New Member

I failed to mention we tried soaking them in hot water and it did nothing to soften them. We also cut off 2/3 of the core. The problem seems to be that the bottom edge of the front of the horn has curled in slightly and hits the forehead before it should. I appreciate your responses.

5. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Just grind the cores down until you get a good fit

6. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Been there, get out the dremel and get after it! :D

7. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Had the same problem on several different sheep,,,did what ljones said.,,grind the cores down at the base until you get the horns seated ,,then glue down!!

8. Kodiak1

Kodiak1 New Member

cut core so only 3-4 inches are left from skull then shave with sawzall kind of like shaving the skin off an apple... I know what Im talking about because I do over 200 exotic sheep and goats a year then mix some super hot bondo and stick'em on

9. akmike

akmike Member

I know it is too late for these sheep horns but next time after you pop them of boil the skull cap and put back on with in a few days you wont have this problem

10. pikes peak

pikes peak 2011 deer i mounted

i did the rot off a few times( the smell was . do I need to say more lol ) but has anyone tried to microwave a sheep horns before? microwaves cook from the inside out . a guy told me that is the way to do . he also was a taxidermist and outfitter on the hunt I was on . any input I'm sure we would like . thanks in advance

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What happens when you put a hotdog in the microwave?

12. pikes peak

you got me . I have never done it . please tell us .

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They burst. I would not recommend doing this with horns. Do a search on this you will find plenty of discussion on it. Most will say that rotting them off is the only way.

14. The best way to get them off is to "sweat" them. I have a small chest freezer that put a water heater element and thermostat in. it has about 10 inches of water in it. I take any horned animal that needs the sheaths off and stick in a black trash bag with a cup of water. Let them sit in on a milk crate inside the heated freezer for about 24 hours. They get "steamed". I will take them out, work the horns through the bag so I don't have to smell it and see if it is loose. If not, give another 24. I have been doing them this way for several years now and it works very well. After you get the horns off, scrub the bone bases, wash everything you can get out of the sheath, then place it back on for a few hours to dry and harden back into shape. I usually cut my excess bone off before putting the sheaths back on. After they dry some and get their rigidity back, I gently work them off and clean the skull. I do euros and have several taxidermists as clients. Most of them call me anytime they have a horned animal to deal with. I will throw the skull portion in the bugs and get it nice and clean for them also. Sheep can be difficult if you have a full twist or more. Pronghorn will usually pop off after 12 hours or so. Bison, come off easy as well. Aoudad are pretty easy and goats aren't a problem. You cannot get the horn sheaths off a cape buffalo, hartebeest or wildebeest. Most other stuff is "no sweat".

15. pikes peak

thank you for sharing Scarab .

16. No problem. Us bone-heads are masters of black magic foolery..... I know the chest freezer sounds like a big deal but I built several for less than $30 each.

17. Great info. What temp do you set heater to?

18. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

You can use a heat gun to soften up the horn. Just keep it moving and don't over do it. You can crack it. When it's hot enough it will go back on and the edges should roll back out.

19. I set the heater at 122 degrees.

20. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

I would like to see a picture of that freezer so I could get a better idea but that sounds like a dang good idea!