1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck feather problems

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dstreet, Jan 15, 2014.

1. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I tried mounting a few ducks and it seems like the primaries always get wavy on the ends on standing mounts. I seem to have this problem with every one I mount. They look ok while I’m mounting them but they won’t stay straight. Has anyone had this problem? I can take pics if no one has seen this.

2. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

All the time

I ask the same question 4-5 years ago . Still have not got a good answer. But ... I see a lot of difference if you completely dry those primaries first. With air, I dont tumble birds.

If you look at reference birds DO have those wavy and rough feathers naturally.

3. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Thanks. I’ll try drying them first to see if that works. I thought maybe I wasn’t rinsing well enough or something like that. I’ve never tried a tumbler so I don’t know if that’d help dry them faster or not. I’ve always just used air like you said.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

They will get wavy on the ends if they are stroked lengthwise.
    When you groom primary feathers it will help to stroke them (lightly) at close to a 90 degree angle away from the quill.

5. alexm

alexm New Member

If you can't do it leave it to someone who can lol

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I tumble all of my birds. Medium corn cobb grit. You have to have at least 1/2 the tumbler full so you cushion the bird as it tumbles.

7. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Thanks Nancy. That was very helpful because I was doing exactly what you said. Mounting ducks is just of hobby of mine and I've only mounted a few. I've been reading things on this sight for years. I don't ever post because I don't have the knowledge to help anyone yet.