1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bucks on steroids

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by pikes peak, Jan 15, 2014.

1. pikes peak

pikes peak 2011 deer i mounted

deer forms . OK lets start off by what is natural in what you see in a wild . I have been hunting for 30 plus years have yet to see a deer that looks like its been on steroids . can some one please show me some refinance pictures on a buck that has that much detail in the neck alive or dead . myself I know its what the customer imagines what he thought he shot .lol but old man Rinehart has the best real forms there is.

2. :) only one I could find

Attached Files:

3. just because the definition is there doesn't mean you have to exaggerate it. There's a lot of good forms out there, it's up to us to make them look good and satisfy the customer.
    Jim

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

IMO Matuska competators choice forms represent a real deer the closest. The bodys and heads just fit and have the natural tone you are looking for. Can't describe it any better than that.

5. Early season..

[​IMG]

Same deer late season...

[​IMG]

I get your point though, much is overdone. All forms can look ripped up, or not...is up to the person doing it, not the form.

6. That one works better than mine Mr Dennis lmao. And that's a helluva change there from prerut to full rut.

7. It is, and if you look the second pic is only one month later in Sept. Rut is long and drawn out down here, starts in Sept and still activity in Dec.

8. pikes peak

pikes peak 2011 deer i mounted

thank you I'm up north never seen a buck in rut with short hair . thank again

9. verne

verne Well-Known Member

That nice rut picture ; looks just like the neck on a big mears form . ;D

10. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

They certainly do have larger muscule mass in the neck during the rut, but how much of the bulked appearance is attributed to a thicker winter coat and if the animal was also bristling its hair out at the moment of the camera shot?

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Theres a big difference between big massive natural neck muscles, and tight lines and channels forced through the hair with carding material to accentuate it on mounts. The forms often show many extra lines and anatomy that IS there on most deer during that season. Its just that the thicker skin and longer hair often makes those lines much more subtle. Its still there as contours. When taxidermists force the skin further into those lines, it sometimes becomes harsh. When they even fold and imprint the hair in those lines with carding, its really unnatural looking.

Whether its heavy haired northern deer, or shorter haired southern or early season deer, the anatomy is still under there. Softness is the key for accuracy. But, some customers like the overdone details too, so its up to YOU how you sell yourself to the paying public...

12. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Makes perfect sense...thx

13. It does Vern, and is funny because, no surprise, I mounted it on a Mears form when the guy that took this deer brought it to me. :) FL deer have hair like an Impala even in winter it is very thin and will show everything, good and bad. Like Bill mentioned is very easy for things to look harsh, I change the forms buy softening the lines and contours on every form I work with. The long haired northern deer are much more forgiving to me. I like doing them...lol. I try to get a feel for each person and go as close to what they are looking for, without getting crazy.

14. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Nice example Dennis........another month and who knows.....lol

15. Looks beefy but not unnatural..looks close to the photo of him in rut. Brian, he was shot in Oct...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

NICE work Dennis.......looks like a stud!!

17. verne

verne Well-Known Member

NICE JOB ! ;D

18. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

[​IMG]