1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rubbing tree

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by buckslayr, Jan 16, 2014.

1. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

should I spray anything on a tree I am using in a habitat.I am using the actual rub of a buck I shot. the tree is a shreddred ash,thanks

2. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

If you find anything out let me know I'm doing the same thing. I had thought of spraying it with a Elmer's glue and water mix or maybe a mat finished clear coat

3. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

this particular tree I am using is ash and sheds bits of bark pretty easy,I hoped somebody would give me a fix,I'm thinking about rubbing it it down with a gloved hand before I use it.Maybe that would get rid of most of the loose stuff

4. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

I ended up just vaccuming it with a brush, if it sluffs off it will just add to the realism,jmo

Attached Files:

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I'm sorry, but I don't like it! The tree is to big and it just stops! There are other things to. sorry

6. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

I'm sorry you don't like or appreciate it MT, but this is this particular bucks actual rub,I have pictures of him by it.I don't have high enough ceiling to put the whole tree in. It is my personal buck and wanted something other than a wall mount, my walls are getting full,I figured this would be different and cool,It satisfies me and that is what matters thanks for the comment though.

7. squid

That's the revolution form? Right. That is the same form I'm using in my rub scene. But my tree is only a 1¼ diameter.

8. squid

I do agree with M.T. that the tree just end so fast/abruptly. And there needs to be some angles, it seem to straight, but that is just my opinion. But I do say you did a good job

9. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

I'm open to learning, h[​IMG]ow would you all have done the tree, its on the right side ??

10. squid

I guess personally I would have cut it at a very slight angle just to give it some angles on the mount so it doesn't look so straight up and down. I would have also used some shavings from a rubbed tree to put on the snow so it appears he is actively doing the rub. a rub on the tree looses barks and the ground around the rub is ruffed up from the buck attacking the tree, your base looks to clean. but like I said this is just my opinion.

11. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

I cut the tree the exact angle it was in the ground,also cut the top off at an angle so it looks like a snap off,I told my wife when bark falls off the unsealed tree it would look like the buck rubbins.it will eventually look like you said,I will probably put tracks in the snow though,thanks for the input

Attached Files:

12. buckslayr

buckslayr Member

another side

Attached Files:

13. squid

Thanks for the additional photos. It looks better since it shows the tree at an angle. OK ya the tracks in snow would be cool