1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to dry ducks?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by skullplate2, Jan 16, 2014.

1. skullplate2

skullplate2 Acts 10:13

How do you dry a duck when you get done degreseing it

2. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Dog groomer blower

3. cjm1233

cjm1233 New Member

Trust me I messed around with a hair dryer until I tried a tumbler. 1,000% better results in a fraction of the time . I use a drier with no heat blowing in at all, with cedar shavings( a lot use corn cob grit). I was shocked with the results that made such a better mount.

4. i've been using a small shop vac for 10 years with great results, but i also wrap my washed, not gassed bird up in a towel and run it thru the spin cycle on my washing machine first
    Shop vac is great for all but very large geese and turkeys, just takes a while longer on bigger birds.

Riversbend Taxidermy likes this.
  5. After I tumble it I do use a hair dryer to get the down dry...but you have to make sure it isn't too hot.

6. I'm too cheap/low production for a tumbler. Spin cycle in the washing machine then about 5 to 10 minutes blow drying on warm. I always turn it down to cold around the neck and head but I've never had a problem using warm air on the rest of the bird.

7. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Funny that I have never had a bit of trouble(knock on wood), on using a hair dryer on warm.

8. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I use a blowdryer !

9. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

In Taxidermy Today I noticed that Rick Morris uses a blow dryer on hot. He should know. Anyway his article covered that in one of the last 4 issues I believe. Might check it out.

10. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I use a hair dryer with four heat settings, two "speeds", and a cool air button. I carefully squeeze the water out of the bird and blot with a towel and paper towels. Then I blow dry with heat, but moving it around so it's not doing anything to the feathers or skin...

11. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Hair dryer..

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Squeeze, towel, hand tumble, hair dryer.

13. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

I put the bird skin in a plastic garbage bag with corn cob grit and borax. I tie that bag closed, then put that bag into another bag just to be careful and tie that one closed. I then tumble it in my clothes dryer on no heat cycle for about 15 minute's. They come out looking great!

14. Wow..now there's an idea Tom! ;D

15. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

hair dryer for me too

16. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Blower side on the shop vac after I tumble it in a box of corn cob grit works well for me