1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Deer - first attempt at a full articulation

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by flintlough, Jan 16, 2014.

1. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    I found this deer caught in a fence and dead on my property. Thought I would try a full skeletal articulation. I have tried various ways to do European whitetail mounts, some worked better than others but never had an opportunity to do a whole animal. He's missing his left rear lower leg, crushed in the fence.

[​IMG]

After finishing the project I began to look around to see what others had done. WOW. There is a bunch of really neat stuff out there. I have learned a lot that I probably should have known before starting, but it's all in the learning, right! I'm definitely interested in any pointers.

2. Very nice for a first articulation! I have one to do but no space yet. The base is nice... Detailed but not over powering.

3. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Thanks. Glad on your base opinion. I wanted it to enhance not overpower.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very nice. And really good for a first. I like the base as well. Not sterile like a lab mount and the pose is also nice.

5. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

bad a$$! if I had more time I would give this a try, wow is that cool. Love all the white with the color of the antlers and the contrast of the hooves! Great tribute to a brute, have to have a little humble feeling to the nastyness of nature, I am sure his death was not nice, great way to honor him! You can almost see him, neck all swollen, chasing a smaller buck away! Is that bone painted? Or did you degrease and whiten the whole thing? Looks great!

6. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    You are right, must have been a horrible death. Like I said, should have known more before I started. I never really knew about degreasing. After I found him, I put him in a hog trap and left him for about 3 months during the spring to keep the scavengers off him. Then I fleshed the rest as best possible and soaked him in water for about a month. This worked really well, leaving him clean. I then did a short boil and let him dry in the hot Texas summer sun for several days. Followed this with a peroxide bath (3%) for about two days. This left him clean and without any smell but not really white (because of the grease I know now). I then painted the parts before articulating him to get the whiteness I wanted. Once finished I did some paint touch up and sprayed the whole thing with satin urethane (thought with time this would yellow and give him an antique look. The antlers I stained. Put together the cedar base and added casters for mobility. I looked through a book to find a pose I liked. He's in the den now. Not sure how long my wife is going to go for that. Will have to find him a better home. I really appreciate the feedback!

7. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

he look nice even know its painted how long did it take the articulation part of it

8. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    It took a couple of months working on it a few minutes here and there to articulate it. I found him dead around the end of February and was totally done the week before Christmas 2013.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The wife will like him more if you decorate him with red roses and a box of chocolate when Valentines Day comes around. The contrast will look great. Christmas lights for the holidays. :) Put a little red bulb where his nose was.

10. glennbear6

glennbear6 New Member

Really neat idea , and well done. Like the whole concept.
    Glenn

11. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Yeah Sea Wolf, that will do it! ;)

I have a coyote that I've let nature work on for a while. Planning to try it again. There are a lot of good posts on preparing bones for display on this site. Knowledgeable group.

Went through OK City a few months ago and was hoping to go to the Osteology Museum there but alas it was Sunday and they were closed. I'll plan to go again. Search it if you haven't heard about it. Unbelievable!

Thanks Glenn!

12. Very nice articulation.

13. Looks awesome!

14. aquiafin

aquiafin New Member

What did you use to put him all together? Epoxy or some sort of metal?

15. duxdown

duxdown New Member

You bone guys have to have the biblical patience of JOB! I do admire that talent.

16. Very good, espccially for a first lifesize :)
    Do you plan to restore the cartilage by sculpting over the wires, and find a spare leg?

17. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    I originally tried to use his real costal cartilage but it proved a little too tricky to drill and wire. I threw a couple of pieces of it on the dirt there just so you could see it. Probably won't build it up either, the wiring came out pretty clean. As far as the leg, I guess I should have kept the crushed parts and reconstructed them, but the real narrative of how I found him works too.

I used 3/8" copper tubing painted black for his spine, made it flexible for posing. I used mainly clear flexible silicone for attaching parts. All major articulations have wire and the larger ones have sections of threaded rod for strength. Some joints I painted after using silicone to make them opaque, like the tarsals. Others I left the silicone clear for realism, like the intervertebral discs. I particularly like the locktite brand of clear silicone in the tube. It sets fairly fast and very strong.

18. aquiafin

aquiafin New Member

Would you mind taking a picture of his feet/hooves up close for me? I'm trying to articulate some deer legs and I'm having a hard time.

19. I love this! Great job!

20. qwackorama

qwackorama New Member

dude that is awesome!! how did you do it??