1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Strange question ... How long does the taxidermy in good condition?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Gavilán, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Gavilán

Gavilán New Member

Which is the duration of the taxidermy?

I have a collection of 20 african animals and my wife is buying more!!!

These animals have over 30 years

Thanks!

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Speak English much?

3. Beartowntaxi

Beartowntaxi New Member

x2 but I think he is asking how long they last, which all depends on how it was mounted.

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Wish I could ask a question in more than one language....

To answer your question, if they are old mounts (30 years old) and still look acceptable to you, chances are they will remain that way for many years. If they where done poorly, they would have fallen apart already. Even the best modern work will suffer from sun fading over time if exposed, so the environment they are displayed in is important. As already mentioned, the methods used determines how long a mount will last. If buying newer mounts, look for tanned capes, and anatomical accuracy, which will indicate hide paste was used. Check for separation of the skin from the liner in the ears. Buying online is a roll of the dice. Hope this helps!

5. Gavilán

Gavilán New Member

Thanks Jared, I wanted to know what you've explained. A friend told my wife that if the hides are tanned properly an animal exposed to a normal habitat (no sun, no humidity) can stand in good condition up to 100 years! ???