1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Reproduction...close call with failure

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by joeym, Jan 17, 2014.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I did these for a valued customer who wanted them pronto. I had never cast a full set of antlers, and my hats off to people who can successfully and consistently cast them. Despite my best efforts, my dragon skin mold was not adequate, and I was hemorraging casting fluid from the get-go. I rotated them to hopefully seal off the leak when the first pour kicked, and they slowed up, but never stopped leaking. My mold came to pieces upon removal, but I was happy to have something to show for a week's work (on and off). I learned a lot, but have no idea if and when I will cast another set.

[​IMG]

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Joey, one must remember that chemical companies only exist if they sell you chemicals. Most good replicators don't buy in to the one stop shop for everything molding and casting. I wish I could help you, but the process is just way too involved. It would take a hard week together just teaching you the basics. Some things are just best left to those with experience. Now I beat you wish you could get that week back and the lost money.... I would have been cheaper in the long run. Now you have a piece of plastic that will be a nightmare to paint.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Good thing is that the original antlers will be mounted on a shoulder mount and shipped to Atlanta, while the reproductions set will be shipped to Sequin, TX...they will never again be side by side after they leave me!!!

4. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I'm in Seguin, TX! So this is where all my mounts went this year! lol