1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing lower Jaw

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oagie, Jan 17, 2014.

1. I am working on a rainbow reproduction, whos mouth is open. I would like the fish to have more relaxed jaw. I am considering removing the lower jaw and repositioning it. I assume this has been done before by members here. I am looking for advice, pics or just what not to do.

Any input would be helpful.

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    You might also consider buying another head for it with the mouth the way you want it. This might be good as a backup for cutting off the lower jaw and trying to adjust it yourself.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

depending on what the blank is made out of and how much you need to adjust it, you can also try heating the the head and closing it slightly. You have to be careful when attempting it. Too much heat and it will tare/break away.

4. A crock pot of hot sand. Yep thats what I said. let the sand get hot and then let the head warm up of several minutes and you can adjust it some.

5. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Buying another head sounds like the sure fire way to go but I would try cutting a relief notch in the jaw and heat with a hair dryer and close, then just apoxie what needs it, good luck.

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

The problem I see with adjusting the existing open mouth head is tha even with closing the mouth some, the maxillary bone is still extended and would need to be cut in orde4r to reposition it as well.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Commercial mount? I would do what John recommended, if anything. Unless of course you like working for FREE - lol! Seriously though, keep in mind that typically we as taxidermists are WAY more critical than customers. Unless it's a muppet mouth I wouldn't mess with it too much (Heck, again not at all for me - lol!) And purchasing another head I would think would also be a headache trying to backfit to the existing body. Remember, the opening of the mouth affects where the throat latch comes in. So, it's not as simple as swapping out and an exact fit in all phases is highly improbable. My advice to you if it's not to your liking is to deal with it - lol!