1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Self tan question.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jonesen

Jonesen Refuse to follow

IL
    Oh OK sorry I have never talked to Brian personally. I'm just going off the directions that come with the product. Nowhere on there does it say " do full fleshing with pressure washer then put in krowtann for "x" amount of time.. my mistake I guess

2. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I could sure use a little help, as I am really in a pickle. Here's the deal. My friend brought in a big 12 point buck. I've been reading on here about tans, dry perserve, pickle, wet tan, dry tan, crowtan, lutan, no salt, salt, dry, not dry,formic acid, saftee acid, citric acid muratic acid,I even heard you can tan a hide with anti-freeze out of your radiator. So me having 6 grandsons, my wife buys those big 5 gal. jars of dill pickles. One visit and all the pickles get eat up. You guessed it. I saw my wife starting to dump that dill pickle juice and I said "Woh!!!, hold on, don't pour that out!" Since I only charge 195 for a shoulder mount, "that's all you can get in my area," I need to save money when I can, right? I'm thinkin, if that stuff will penetrate a cucomber's tough hide I know it'll penetrate a deer skin. After salting I put in the cape, in that pickle juice. Checked ph, it was at 2. I'm thinking, hell yea!, saving money. Three days later I took it out. That things greener than a friggin shamrock! The skin, the hair, the ears, around the eyes, even the inner ear hair, all greener than a four-leaf clover on St. Patrics day, and smells like a dill pickle. It wouldn't wash out neither. What in the world am I gone do? Instead of double white throat patches, I have a dark green cape with 2 light green throat patches. Any help would be much appriciated, customer's comming in three weeks . I am really in a pickle.

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

LMAO ;D well the grandkids have something to chew on besides pickles.

4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

LOL! I sure hope you are inserting some needed humor.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Cut it into strips. Let dry and have dill pickle chew toys for the kids and dogs. It won't be long and they will stop coming around if all they have to eat is chew pickles. I think your a genius. I've been trying to figure out how to run off some kids without it seeming like I'm trying to run them off.

6. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Hey I thought this thread was over.
    Jonesen thanks for the back up but they didn't eat me. Far from it. I would never throw a hide straight in any solution without some level of salting. I have never used Krowtan and never will. I bought a bottle and that stuff smell like something you would use to clean the tiles of a swimming pool. Something just doesn't seem right about the whole process. Does it work? I have no idea but if you like it and trust it use it.
    It is to dang easy to tan a hide properly,once a person learns how,to take short cuts.

As for George,years ago he used to grate on me. Bad.Not so much in the last few years. My join date and post count doesn't reflect it but I have been a member since the beginning and have watched him dismantle many a taxidermist on here over the years all the while shaking my head.

Then one day I looked at his picture and just got this warm and fuzzy feeling as if I were looking at a old Uncle or maybe even me at 75 years of age. I just could make myself dislike him anymore. He is like the PaPa of the Blue Screen.
    We may not like his tactics and manners but he is very knowledgable and very hard headed and sometimes incredibly rude but in the end I truly believe he is honestly just trying to help.(man it's getting dusty in here).

I have never met the man but I owe him a beer when we meet someday. And we will.
    Y'all have to admit this place wouldn't be nearly as exciting without him.... Go ahead and admit it. It's Ok.

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

No I wasn't crying!!!!!!
    Well maybe a little. :)
    Just take a moment and look at his profile pic. I think you will agree.
    Now George don't change you pic to one of you shooting us the finger!! :)LOL

8. Ge

9. George I use McKenzie ultimate acid in my pickles. I recently tanned a grey fox hide for a shoulder mount. It had one spot that hair slipped the size of a quarter. It is the first time I ever had any trouble with hair slippage. I was wondering if I could add pre tan 110 to my pickle if that would help insure the hair to be set? Do you have any suggestions on what would help or could have caused my issue. I washed my hide in bacteriacide before started pickling.

tazzymoto likes this.
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fox. Fixes are the slip kings of our business. I'm convinced that if you don't skin them while they're still breathing, slippage is possible. The most likely cause is that didn't happen. Bobcats are just as bad. When I get one, all work stops. I skin, turn, and Stop Rot, then salt. Next day is pickle time.

Trevorheater84 likes this.
  11. I
    I’ve had people telling me that I need to salt a hide for days before I think about pickling what’s your thoughts on that

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PERSONALLY, I think that's BS. I rub salt into the flesh over 100% of the skin, especially tail feet, ears and nose. Roll it up and set it on end so the water can drain out. Let it set overnight in a cool place. Next day, I shake the salt off and start the tanning process. A good pickle is a life saver as it locks the hair in. If I'm sending them out, I hang the outside if possible and let them dry. Heavy salt on a thin fur bearer is just wasting salt.

13 point likes this.
  13. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

That is priceless! Thank you for the laugh 8 years later.

14. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I have had good luck thawing foxes, bobcats, and coyotes in a large pickle overnight. The Brian Hendrix method. He has a lot of good youtube video's on small mammals.

ARUsher likes this.