1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need guidence and critiquing

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wilcox1088, Jan 19, 2014.

1. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

I am new to taxidermy and this forum and have mounted about four ducks but I am having trouble with wiring the wings for a standing mount. I cant seem to get the wings to lay in the pockets and sit just right I think my problem is the wiring into the foam body itself. here are the birds I have done so for and if any of you hve any pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Next time after you skin out your bird, roughly measure from the clavicle area back, and top of the back (spine),down to give you an idea of where to wire your humerous bone. Also, don't be afraid to carve out some foam in the clavicle, neck area on your mannikin. It appears after looking at your pictures, that the wing position is too low on the mannikin. However, if u measure where I suggested on the actual duck body, and apply it to your mannikin, then things should fall into place for you.

3. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    You might also want to try a standing bird with using wire that only goes to the end of the humerous, see how it works for you. On smaller birds i use 18 gauge wire in the wings for standing mounts much easier to bend and get were i want

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Don't use wire pin them where the feathers hide the pins. When the joints dry and the caulk cures they will not go anywhere. Kiss method . . . Keep it simple silly ;D

5. photo turned

Attached Files:

6. donrutlege

donrutlege Guest

At least you got it put together. My first duck was a total disaster. Always, always always use reference photos AS you are mounting anything but especially birds. I can tell you were most likely not using any photos when you mounted this. It is a trick a lot of taxidermists fall into by not using reference. I've done hundreds of ducks and I still use reference photos every time I put one together. It is like a map to building the bird. Listen to me now - and believe me later - REFERENCE. Your legs are too stiff. Your wings are way too low and should be inside the side pockets. The neck is also way off and not a smooth trip to the head and where it connects to the body. And groom for a day until it is dried. Use a pair of tweezers and pull feathers into position. Overall - you got the basics - now just clean it up and good luck.

7. alexm

alexm New Member

It's very dirty. Pull the,neck skin up