1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler protection

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

I have been using DAP Seal N Peal for quite a few years now, it works pretty well but I have found that it stains the antlers quite a bit darker and leave a definite line showing exactly where the silicone was. I use 27% peroxide and have to protect the antlers from it and I believe restraining is a waste of my time. How does everyone else do their whitening process and protect the antlers??????

2. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I either make a paste with quick white or place the skull on thick plastic wrap completely in rags and put paper towels in the nasal and dump peroxide untill everyting is soaked pull the plastic up tape the seams and around the pedicle the peroxide will stay wet as long as you want as long as its sealed tight

3. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I just soak in a tub shallow enough to leave as much antler out as possible, then use paper towl to wick up to the base of the burrs. There is always some peroxide that gets on the antlers and once you get good at staining it only takes a few minutes at most, I would think painting on DAP, waiting for it to dry, peeling it off, and then worrying about the color difference would be more of a waste of time than simply touching up the bases with a little oil stain or paint? Honestly it takes no more than 10 minutes on a real bad rack and on average 2-5 minutes on any normal situation. Have you tried restaining?

4. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

My method is the same as the dog's.

5. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

Dog, I restrain quite a bit. Just don't like staining, feel like it should be just as it was when it came in. I strip off the silicone and its ready to be sealed. Lately the Seal N Peal has been staining the antlers and hasn't been sealing very well, hence me staining. I do elk just the way you do with paper towels, just find it easier to toss them in the BO and mess with them or worry about them falling over with such a variety of rack sizes. JMO...... I tried latex and it was pretty runny and didn't dry fast enough for me. I'm trying 100% silicone and a heat gun to get it off.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Latex 74 .....

A couple coats of Latex 74 on the areas you don't want affected by the hydrogen peroxide. Once whitened you can peel it right off.

:)

Kerby...

7. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

I'm doing my first antlered deer at the moment. I'm doing 3 muley bucks right now. The first I bought a tube of clear silicone. When I went to buy more I chose a slightly cheaper, white caulking. It has silicon and latex. I applied it heavy and after a few days it firmed up. After a night in the degrease bucket I noticed the white caulking was liquifying. I mean it was dripping all over the place. The ground, the skull, my degreasing tank. It made an awful mess. The only thing I can think is the caulking on the inside of the caulking mass didn't cure and ran all over. Lessoned learned.