1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rehydrating/repositioning bird wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ginevive, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Would it be a bad idea to attempt to rehydrate some dried/boraxed bird wings in order to reposition them? They are for crafts, not a mount, and were detached from the bird and all meat had been removed.

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

nope, just do it!

3. Mud On The Tires

Mud On The Tires New Member

Soak them overnight. Start the soaking process in a moderately warm water, then put in the fridge over night. Take out of the fridge see if you can inject into the joints if need be... put in a baggie with water and freeze them overnight.. The next day you should have perfect rehydrated wings. You may loose a feather or too, but nothing too drastic..

MOTT

4. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

X2... That's how I've rehydrated entire birds, but the wings would be easier.

One note, sometimes the secondary feathers like to stiffen up or go back to their original position if not rehydrated enough. It shouldn't be a problem, but thought I would add... Good luck! :)

5. thanks for the replies! Happy to learn that it can be done.

6. I have rescued a few badly freezer burned birds with stop rot and a syringe. Works very well!