1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do i have too high of expectations?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Jan 22, 2014.

1. pikes peak

pikes peak 2011 deer i mounted

DP is a Dry Preserve . yes burr to burr is the 7 cut , glad I could make your day antlerman .

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

This is how I cut my capes. I use a V cut. I cut from burr to burr at the hair line...DC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pikes peak

looking I see your from sc . whats the average hair length there ? your way with min sewing is great with short haired deer that I understand .

4. dc taxidermy

Short to none...Our average hair length is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.....DC

5. Man I don't know what to do with those long haired northern deer myself lol.

6. dc taxidermy

I do several every year, Ohio and New York, Iowa....I just mount as usual...I have an Alberta buck to do next week.....DC

7. We get a couple each year at the shop where I work. Only three or four usually. They are a lot different from ours. But they are nice to work with but man do they do some serious floating in the acid solution.

8. pikes peak

I get them early bow deer and there the same . stitches of a 1/8 in apart. lol . going to try your way next year . thank you for sharing

9. dc taxidermy

I have a video some where...I will try and find it...Its easy....I use a multifunction tool to cut the skull cap...DC

[​IMG]

10. 8Point

8Point Member

DC...That seems nifty... so do you cut down the back at all or just the V?? Good idea to use multi tool... I from WI so we got fluffy long hair.

11. coryhammett

coryhammett New Member

I card the seam and pin it very well to help hold the seam and keep it from pulling. I also get the seam area very thin. Around the burrs once I get the deer mounted and put together I always super glue the hide to the area under the burr. I have very good luck with this

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

How the **** do you even get that cape over the form? I've mounted hundreds and hundreds of whitertails and I split everyone of them all the way down. To me, it is much easier to work with, just a little longer to sew.

13. dc taxidermy

I do not cut down the back at all. I Take all my measurements, then skin out the inside of the mouth,then make my V cut, Then I skin around the burrs. I take the multi tool and cut the skull cap. I then invert the cape and skin out the head.....Easy Peasy.....DC

[​IMG]

This is my daughter skinning out a head after the antlers were cut off...DC

14. dc taxidermy

I don't have any problems. I preset all my antlers and most of the forms out there have too big of a head block so I cut them down with my saws all. After that the cape slides on easily......DC

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Hey DC...thats a cute little 110 volter you got there. A grandson I presume? When you say you cut the head block, I'm assuming you mean in the back. If so then yes I agree, they are too big in most cases. I use a "T" incision about 6 to 8 inches long, but know I could cut that down if I trimmed the back of the head block. The reason I use the T is because, I have found that if I trim about 1/2 an inch from the back side of that T, I can cinch it up around the burrs nice and tight. Fast and unnoticeable. A dab of hide paste is all that is needed. Plus I get a nice tight fit all the way around and down the pedical.

16. dc taxidermy

Tim, I used a short y for years then I tried the V I have not looked back. I owe it to Keith Boman (I probably Spelled his name wrong). I saw him do it in a simenar at Surry. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the multi tool. I use it for everthing. I even use it to cut the skull caps on the one I don't have to save the cape....I had tried the 7 Cut and a T cut. Didn't like them. I only have to sew about 4 inches total. I actually cut the corner off the skinn at the burr and put an extra stitch. It makes for a very tight burr to skin union...I understand that what I do don't work for everybody but It works for me...I promise I am not an award winning Taxidermist. My deer might pull a low red. I am ok with that for commercial work. My closest competition won't do that good. So as long as Bill don't move into the community I should be ok.....DC

17. antlerman

Honestly, I like it. But would have to go and purchase one of them there fancy mult-i-tools you speak about. If Keith Bowman taught you that, I sure can respect it, that's for sure.

18. dc taxidermy

Harbor Freight, 20 bucks....I have two for back ups...DC

19. antlerman

Really........Thanks. I thought they were about 100 bucks. We've got a Harbor Freight here in St. Louis. Looks like I'll be going shopping.

20. dc taxidermy

Here you go...DC

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools.html