1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zilla temperature control

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hairy perch, Jan 22, 2014.

1. For all you folks that use the zilla controller,have you had much trouble with them. I have had one for 1 1/2 years in one tank. In the other I have gone through 2 in the last 6 months. The socket where I screw the heat bulb in always seems to get fried then melts the back of the bulb, and then locks the controller so it will not come back on. I called zilla and they are going to send a new unit, but that does not solve the problem since it will not get any higher than 35 degrees for the next couple of days

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you look on Amazon for them, there seem to be a fair number of complaints about them and them failing. Are you using a ceramic socket for the bulb?

3. I had one for 4 yrs and it finally quit working, bought 2 more and got less than 2 months out of both and the one cost me an entire colony of bugs during that real cold spell we had. I called Zilla and they said they would replace both but I'm not sure I want to have another, I can't risk another colony.........

4. Sea Wolf; yes I used the ceramic socket, also used the plastic one last time and I blamed it on the plastic socket, not the controller. Do you have any suggestions for another controller that might work better?

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I can't, no, but there are others who probably can chime in. I only have a small colony in a glass fish tank and I keep it in the house where heating is not much of an issue.

6. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

I lost a whole colony to a zilla due to it not shutting off while using a heat lamp. It cooked my colony. I still use the zilla but me ceramic fixture that I use also has a plug in. I use a small ceramic heater with its own internal thermostat for heat. The zilla calls for the heat, and the heater supplies it. Ones the heat reaches the level I set on the heater it shuts off no matter what the zilla says.

7. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Try one of these...

[​IMG]

Inexpensive and higher quality than Zilla brand

8. greatbasin;
    I looked that one up. Where is the plug in for the heat lamp. All I see is some type of connection for a heat pad

9. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Left hand side, botom of the unit is where you plug in your fixture. The thin cord is the temp probe and the other is the power cord