1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's wrong with this mount?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Texasmammal, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

I can't quite put my finger on all that's wrong with this mount. It's a remount from a corsican I killed 16 years ago. I can see me earbuds aren't level but it seems like there is something else.

Original
    [​IMG]
    Drying
    [​IMG]
    Finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Eyes don't appear to be level and I don't like the ears.
    [​IMG]

3. quest

quest Member

Utah
    It doesn't look level on the wall.

4. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

That's pic is actually what I used for reference

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Looking at your reference pic compared to you mount, I'd say when it comes to the ears, you failed to match the reference properly. They look too long and skinny.

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the ears are uneven...the eyes also look kind of droopy eyed....lower lids are to far down I think

7. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

I turned the ears down a little from the reference. I wanted a slightly more relaxed look.

8. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Hair is laying too flat especially in the main

9. JRose

JRose Member

Looks like the eyes are rounded too far forward. It doesn't seem like you should be able to see the back of the eyes from a straight-on view. It's a little bubbly in that sense! Ears look like they need to be brought up closer to the horns. In the photo, the base of the ram's ears are level with the top of the eyes. On yours, the top of the ears is level with the top of the eyes. Too low!

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Wrong skin on the wrong set of horns. Nice try though. LOL Nice adaption. Fooled most everyone so far. ;)

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You're showing quite a bit of bottom lip. I also agree with the ears. I know the ref. has them straight out, but I've seen a lot of sheep and they usually are up or down. I've never seen them out straight like in the picture or the mount.

12. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I would have brought the back corner of the eyes up so the upper lid isn't tough in the pupil giving it that sad look..

13. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

I disagree it's defiantly a corsican cape.

14. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

Thank you all for the critique! I see alot of valid points and things I didn't notice!

15. antlerman

Damn, I hate trick questions.

16. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

I don't think I caught on to what you were saying. Can you explain?

17. antlerman

Sure, I thought it was a trick question and I had the correct answer, but I see where you said I was wrong. I thought you mixed it up a bit to see if anyone would catch it. That's all. I did that one time by putting a mulie rack on a whitetail cape. Amazing how many people didn't catch on.

18. Texasmammal

Texasmammal New Member

Lol I see what you mean now. I would have loved to get a real mature blonde cape