1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Teal

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dstreet, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I tried a teal today and wrapping a body instead of using a foam one. Any obvious things I can fix before it dries? I know it needs more grooming. We leave for Mexico tomorrow so I’m running around trying to get last min things done but I want to fix whatever I can on this tonight if I get a chance.

Attached Files:

• teal.jpg
      teal.jpg
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The biggest thing that I see is that you need to taxi the neck skin toward the head.
    Look at a photo of a standing teal and you will notice that the upper part of the pinkish breast feathers (where they join the head feathers) is almost level with the top of the back.
    http://sdakotabirds.com/species_photos/waterfowl/green_winged_teal.htm

3. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Thanks Nancy. I'm doing something wrong with the wings because I can't get the feathers that are supposed to come up on top of them right. I seem to have that problem a lot. The reference pics show that the wings could be almost completely covered with feathers but I couldn't do that if I wanted to. Maybe I made the body to big. I'm not sure.

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

maybe next time you wrap a body, build in the clavicle area, so you can tuck the neck in more to the body.

5. I don't think your body's too big, in fact it may be a tad too small. Head seems really big for the body. Follow Nancy's advise, and try to taxi the skin forward of the shoulders toward the head as well, might smooth out the wings a little. What you've seen is wings tucked into wing pockets, the long feathers on the side of the bird. Next duck you do, practice tucking the wings with a clean ready to mount skin, you'll see how they fit.

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Your wings look to low on the body. Did you leave the humorous attached, wire the wings? Either of those or both can make it hard to get your wings folded and up where they go., at least I struggle with it. That's one nice little green winger. Hope you are going to Mexico for ducks?

7. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I WISH i was going to Mexico for ducks. I'm going on vacation with my wife and I mentioned how good the duck hunting is down there but that didn't fly ;) I guess I'll have to snorkel around instead. Anyway, I really appreciate the time you all have taken to help me. I really need to get that neck skin up on my next one!!! I tried to do some adjustments and inject some caulk into the breast area. BIG MISTAKE!!! I must have missed sewing a hole or created a new one because I got caulk on his breast feathers. I did my best to clean him up and groomed him a little more after moving the wing again. I'm not sure if this is better or not.

Attached Files:

• teal.jpg
      teal.jpg
      File size:
      126.1 KB
      Views:
  8. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Looks much better

9. Wow. Works for me. Well done.

10. Love the balance, and angle of eye...something cool about it...

11. Looks really good!

12. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Thanks birdstuffer! Your birds are always amazing! Maybe some day I'll be able to post in the bird of the week section. I'm always amazed at the talent on there.

13. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Try moving your wings back just a wee bit. You will be surprised what it might do for you. Drop the bird in the freezer before you leave and rework it after you get back. Bag it good so it doesn't dry out on you. Have fun in the sun.

14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't think your wing position is off by much, if at all. I think you should cut yourself some slack when it comes to getting the side pocket feathers to cover the wings. You simply can't make it happen if the feathers aren't there, and that's the situation you have with that bird. It isn't fully feathered out yet. It was close, but it wasn't quite there yet.
    You can tell by looking at the scapulars and, to a lesser extent, the under tail coverts. A fully plumed GW teal will have no brown "summer" feathers anywhere, and there will be a thin black teardrop shape in the scapulars. It's almost literally the last thing that they grow when they are moulting, so it's the first thing I look for if I'm trying to evaluate a potential specimen.
    They moult later than most ducks - sometimes not until February - and it can be very hard to get a perfectly mature specimen.
    The body (breast) should be a little deeper right in front of the legs but otherwise that's a pretty good effort for a pinfeathery teal.

15. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Well I can't make anymore adjustment because I left early this morning. I'll see how he looks when I get back. Nancy, that never even dawned on me that the feathers weren't there and you're right again, it did have pin feathers. Next time I thaw out a duck I'm going to tuck the wings before I skin it to get a better feel for the at anatomy. You would be proud of one thing.... No gas was used in the mounting of this bird. ;)