1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my first for client

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by mark73, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mark73

mark73 New Member

Like these dark horns. Thanks seawolf for your help. The teeth want whiten any advice? Or paint and gloss

Attached Files:

2. mark73

mark73 New Member

2nd pic

Attached Files:

3. mark73

mark73 New Member

3rd pic

Attached Files:

4. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

For me, if the the teeth whiten-up great. If they stay dark great, I like em however they end up.

5. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I take a dental pick and scrape the plaque and then whiten works good for me but I cant tell if it plaque or not from the pic

6. mark73

mark73 New Member

I scraped with a pic but probably made a bad choice of using my dremal with a small wire brush. Probably got them hot. They don't look bad but may have to lightly paint and gloss. Lesson learned.....

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Tooth enamel is also pretty hard. It might also be metal from off the wire brush. Not sure what cleaner might remove that and not stain the bone.

Skull looks nice and the dark antlers are different.

8. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks seawolf, yes they are unique. Lived here and hunted this river bottom my whole life but never saw any this dark. Thanks for your input.

9. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Mark, I saw this the other day and loved it!!!! Now I have been sitting here for about 20 minutes trying to find it again. ;) What did you use on the antlers? I have one heating right now, and my next step is to color/stain/paint the antlers. I don't think I'll got quite as dark as what you have, but I really like the contrast.

10. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks but they are all natural...... Maceration and vol. 40. But from way they look I would start with burnt number and maybe a little black. Just have to play with the colors. Yes I really liked the color of them too.

11. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

It looks great Mark! If you want the teeth to whiten more, go to your local Home Depot & get a 6 quart "shoe box" tote. It'll cost you $.99 plus tax. Place the skull inside of it and poor your volume 40 into it the tote, but only deep enough to submerge the teeth. Let that sit for 24 hours or so, rinse with some hot water, and scrape off whatever's left. Sometimes a tooth pick is all you need, other times a dental pick will work too. This method has worked will for me in the past.

12. You can also get 20 volume in a liquid. I get the dollar shoe boxes and set the skull in. It takes a bit longer than 40 volume but its also half the price. I keep old towels to drape over the whole skull. A lot of times the peroxide will loosen up any stubborn chunks on the teeth to help get them off. Walmart also sells the plastic shoe boxes. I sprayed a few black and just keep the 20 volume in them. I keep the lid on when not in use and it seems to work for three to four heads before it breaks down.