1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Mount Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by headhunter12, Jan 25, 2014.

1. headhunter12

headhunter12 New Member

Mid Mo
    I had a turkey done by a guy here in Missouri and it appeared to be a wonderful mount....until we got in the car to take it home. This was back around the beginning of December and the thing still smells like rotten meat. Is there anything that I can do to save the mount or is it a total loss? I'm afraid that I might have just wasted a lot of money. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. NO the taxidermist did not clean all the meat out of the wings. Take it back to them to be fixed.

3. headhunter12

headhunter12 New Member

Mid Mo
    This is a pic of the cut down the breast. It appears to be kind of fatty/greasy looking. [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the whole bird.
    [​IMG]

It is out in the old chicken coop because it stinks so bad.

4. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

demand your money back

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Take it back, let the original taxidermist make it right. Good luck

6. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Wow. The bugs are gonna love that one when it warms up! I agree with the others, that sucker would be taken back quickly! Sorry about your luck, but it looks like you picked the wrong taxidermist for that one. Good luck to you.

7. glennbear6

glennbear6 New Member

If he did this mount taking back to same guy will get you nowhere .he is not capable of fixing.he thoughy was good enough the first time its obvious he is not good at bitds
    sorry for your bad mount take it back , get some money back
    glenn

8. oskare

oskare Iceland

ewww, i would take it back to him, and get a full refund

9. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Curious , What was the cost ?????????????

10. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

how did you not turn that car around and go raise hell with that hack the second you smelled that something was OFF?

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Take it back to whoever did it. Even if they don't know what they are doing, or if they wholesaled it out to a low-cost provider, it's still their responsibility to make it right.
    It is possible to re-mount it and get it clean and much better-smelling, but it wont be easy. The taxidermist will definitely lose time and money on the deal, but - so what?
    If they are trying to portray themselves as professional then they need to act like professionals.
    You need to make it clear to them that you won't settle for a greasy, stinky mount.

Get it in out of the chicken coop asap or there won't be anything left to salvage. If you have to, wrap it in a garbage bag or two with some moth balls. (You should probably do that now, just because it's probably attracted a beetle or two already.)
    Even in a worse case the tail fan, beard and spurs could be salvaged, but if you leave it outside it will get infested with dermestid beetles and those will ruin the feathers and eventually eat it completely down to the form.

12. Sprigpig1

Sprigpig1 Member

Just reading this made my stomach turn. I'm sorry to hear about this but in my opinion you are being to nice. I am a newer taxidermist but I am not new to the taxidermy business... March through that door with that stinky thing and call the guy out plus demand your money back. Whoever did had no business mounting a bird let alone fixing it.

Sorry if it was a trophy/sentimental bird... But at least try and get your money back and if that fails take them to court. Yeah there are some really talented taxidermist out there who could probably re-hydrate it, strip it and fix the grossness but that's gonna cost you another pretty penny.. We all know what a mounted turkey goes for these days and it's because they are so much work that this taxidermist obviously circumvented. I wouldn't trust him to fix this one or with any of your future work.

Yes my fly off the handle approach may seem over the top to some but I don't care. People work to hard for a dollar these days to be taken advantage of. Good luck to you and keep us updated.

13. That's what happens when you don't research your taxidermist and go to one who has cheap prices. Spend the extra dollars for a top notch birdman.

14. Mason

Mason Active Member

Whe did you see anything about cheap prices duckmounter?
    It very well could have been cheap. But, we have got to see first hand top priced work that looks the same.

15. D.T.

D.T. New Member

By looking at your picture I would say there is probably more going on than just the wings. Doubt if it was fleshed and if it was (which I doubt) it wasn't done properly or correctly. Beware of the bugs. :mad:

16. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

X2 mason, has nothing to do with the quality of a mount.

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There is a 90% + chance that the stink is coming from the wings. If he half-a$$ fleshed it and applied DP, the remaining fat/sinew on the skin will cure and not stink. The wings can be injected with DA and a fan placed under it for 2-3 weeks until the aroma dissipates. Some feathers on the underside will slough off, and the primaries will possibly become detached, but they can be glued back into their respective sockets. Every once in a while I have a turkey that is a "stinker", and I know that it was well fleshed. The wing pockets trap moisture and will stink to high heaven if the bird is not dried rapidly. I place a fan under ALL turkeys that I mount to prevent this from occurring.