1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Could somebody help out a beginner?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Patriottaxedermtbeetles, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Im 15. Trying to start a Euro mount buissiness. Cant figure it out but my first three degreased deer and an elk have come out of the degreaser with loose nose bones and the long bones directly above the nose bones in the middle. Sorry if there are better terms.
    My process is cleaning with dermestids, then degreasing in buckets of water and dawn inside a chest freezer with a bucket heater.
    then whiten with the hair stuff but that doesnt really have anything to do with my problem.
    Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope .. and those nasal bones frequently loosen up. Especially the first set which will also come off. Get used to it. It normally wll happen with younger animals. It's a very easy fix. If it really bothers you, secure the front of the skull with Zip ties before soaking.

3. Ok good to know. Thanks Sea Wolf

4. Sea Wolf

Fit them all back together while it is still wet and zip tie in place. When it is completely dry, everything will probably be tight.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I routinely glue them back in place with white glue. The important thing is to keep up with them when they become detached. I've spent more than a few minutes hunting where I placed them!

6. km123

km123 New Member

How long are you leaving the skulls with the dermistids? After they finnish the flesh they tend to start eating the bones. They star with the thin bones. So just keep a close eye on the skulls.

7. Km123, That brings up another question i had. I bought this colonrey off of a guy and he said that it was 4 years old. I have no idea how you tell population but ther is around six inches of bedding and it is all swarming.
    They seem to finish the majority of the skull fairly quickely but there are some areas of ROCK HARD dried tissue that they seem to be unable to eat. So i take it out, Soak it in water over night to soften things up and then I put it back in, and they finish quick. Anybody had this problem? or have a solution? :-\

8. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I had the same thing happen until the colony grew I would do the same thing pull it out and soak drip dry then put it back in when it was just a little bit of dry material I would put a wet paper towel on the dry spot and then they finished it but only if it was a small amount

9. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Yeah that happens. The colony isn't finishing it all before it dries out. No worries tho. Add a shot of ammonia to the water your soaking the skull in. They love it. Or, maybe keep a spray bottle handy of a 50/50 mix of water & ammonia, and give the spots that are drying out a misting. That way you're keeping the problem areas moist AND aren't drowning any beetles when you soak the skull.

10. Ok cool! Thanks for the advice:)

11. Seawolf said the magic wand.. ZIP TIES! A lot of time the nose bones fall off. I usually just hook them in the eye sockets until the degreasing is finished. Depending on the type of bucket you are using, you can run into the problem of the little bone that protrudes out from the center of the skull (septum bone?) will crush under the weight of the skull if it is resting on the bottom. In that case, put the nose bones back in and zip tie then down. 4" ties and be used inside the nose bones to hold them together while an 8" usually right the point where the nose bones, cinched down, will hold everything in place. Good luck with your business. Don't compromise quality for anybody. If you take your time and turn out beautiful work, you will have a life long business.

12. Scarab Artistry, thanks for the advice. It has been going fairly well so far. I have done 5 deer an Elk and an Antelope so far no problems, I have one more deer to do and tthen I can start on my personal skulls including a bear I shot this fall and some smaller ones like badgers, coyotes, bobs, ect. it should be interesting trying to degrease the bear haha.
    -Austin

13. Sea Wolf

Bears, for the most part, are not difficult. They just take time. Sometimes you have to switch cleaners to get all the grease out but patience is the key with those.