1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wahoo mystery ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by peacmj, Jan 26, 2014.

1. peacmj

peacmj New Member

Hello All, I have a very nice Wahoo from New Wave and I am trying to figure out the best way to paint the vertical stripes (bars), almost looks like paint Is poured down the sides, anyone care to share? thanks Mike

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm sure many ways to achieve the end result. But, the way I paint a wahoo is to first have all my underlying colors final and the "stripes" are last to go on. Except for MAYBE a little paint over the top. I air brush them on with thinned, translucent paint and build up to taste. You can also come back with a little steel wool to soften the edges of the stripes if they get a little too strong. Paint 'em like you would a barred musky for the most part...

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Rick Hardy has some firm opinions on wahoo, and does a LOT of them and has seen a ton. Google Unique Species Taxidermy and I am sure his advice will be valuable.

4. peacmj

peacmj New Member

Thanks again, FishArt, for pointing me In the right direction. I really enjoy this forum and the Information you guys & gals are willing to share, Thanks

5. peacmj

peacmj New Member

Thanks, den007 for the reference I will check em out

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

When I have to paint a species I am not familiar with I type the name on Google and then click images.

7. makoman

makoman Member

You have to be subtle with the bars otherwise they look over done and not natural ,here's one I did years ago it came from Fiji cut in half and was a mission to put together.
    Cheers Kev

Attached Files:

8. peacmj

peacmj New Member

Awesome job ! thanks for sharing

9. Metal Man

Metal Man New Member

Nice job on the Hoo Kev

10. Huntman

Huntman Guest

Wonderful Mako, spot on!. Would love to see a Wahoo from you fishart. Painting speculation is one thing, pilling it off is another. There are no Wahoo on your web site, and how many have you painted coming from the great lakes area

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Huntman, I've only done a total of TWO in all my years of doing this - lol! Both restores. And both were in the middle of winter when they were completed and I never took any photos. I don't like to post photos of my restoration work on my website because I think it's a bit embarrassing to the customer showing the "before" photo. Plus, both blanks were 30 year old junk to begin with - w/o much detail. I thought I did a pretty good job of pulling off the paint job, but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it - lol! I'm sure not as nice as the job Kevin pulled off, but I was happy and so were my customers. Yep, not much of a demand here in the midwest for saltwater. Too bad too because I enjoy playing with all the different subtle colors and it makes for a nice change of pace.