1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Disposal of prep waste?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by carlabrauer, Jan 26, 2014.

1. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

Hey folks,

I'm curious if any of you have creative ways of disposing of your prep waste - flesh, fur, eyeballs, brains, etc. I've generally kept a bag in the freezer until it starts to get full and then take it out and bury it in the woods, but I'm moving my shop and myself to a different location where that might not be a possibility.

What's a girl to do with a pile of stinky rotting flesh?

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Put said frozen bag in the garbage can on garbage day so it doesn't thaw before the trash man comes.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Trash as above. I also bury it or put it in my composter for the garden. I also save out some nice meaty bits and let them dry out in the freezer to feed the beetles.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

Eyeballs/random organs go in a specimen jar if they are intact and not deflated (what can I say, I am strange ::)). Brains, if the skull is small enough I just let the beetles have. Any left over larger chunks of flesh get put in the freezer for said beetles. Fur hasn't been a problem, as all the fur I have I intend to tan at some point.

5. Cut it up into small pieces and feed it to the crows. That's what I used to do when I lived in town and we had mobs of crows in the winter :). Also worked nicely for trimmings off of meat (like, food meat) and any other organic scraps. Love crows! But if you don't cut it into small-ish pieces they can't eat it.

Now I can just throw the junk out behind the house since I live in the country.

6. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

First time my trash man got to talk to me he says "So your the butcher" ha, he gets a treat at my place each week. I freeze all the hide, jaws, scraps, etc and they go out on Wed morning. Have to many skulls to do now a days to save any of it.

7. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

Ha! I've been living without garbage service so long I forgot it could be an option. I think where I'll end up moving that will be the way to go. I've had someone ask about saving it for her so she can feed it to her dog, but I don't think I'm ready for that kind of liability! My dog really enjoys a freeze dried deer ear though. :)

8. All jaws and neck bones get frozen. I use them to for the beetles during down times of when I am cleaning bug tanks or if I start a new colony. I live on 40 acres of wooded land so I have a dumping ground. I go to the back of the property and dump my scrap. I have made friends with local buzzard population. I actually have several that spend the winter days in the tree line, waiting for me to go to the woods. Anytime I go to the back of the place, they fly over to the dumping area and wait. I kinda feel bad if I am not actually dumping.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My garbagemen are trained. I have 10-15 five gallon buckets of stuff each week. They empty them directly into the truck and put the buckets back on my garbage trailer. Each man gets 2 Cokes and 2 packs of tater chips every week, year round!

10. A trip into town to the dump once every week or so.

11. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

x2. If a few days go by, there will usually be one or two that will come up by the shop and light in a tree close by. I'll walk outside and they will make noise or flap their wings s if to say "ahem". I always feel bad when I hang the maceration buckets in the rafters and they can smell it, but there's nothing to eat. I've been dumping in the same spot for 15 years. Took a neighbors horse (1500#) back there last year and in 3 days there was nothing but 4 hooves and some hair.^-^

Sent from my AT100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I can't dump anything on my property. My old walker hound will tote most of it back to the house almost immediately. He'll have deer skulls littered all over the yard. He chases the buzzards away and hoards it all for himself!

13. qwackorama

qwackorama New Member

just bury it :)

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That won't work. I have a dirt pit on my property. I tried burying carcasses, and the coyotes would dig them up immediately. I had one hole that was 6 feet deep, buried a hog in it, and they had him exposed after a few nights.

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Would like to see them work at something like that on a hidden trail cam.

16. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

Just use that as a opertunity for coyote hunting, setup a ground blind and let them get use to it and then go get some