1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting a snapping turtle

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by vincer15, Jan 26, 2014.

1. vincer15

vincer15 New Member

Is there anywhere to get a paint schedual for a snapping turtle?

2. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    In short, no. Joe Kulis sells a dvd on snapping turtle taxidermy. Its a good resource.

I use yellows and browns and very little green. The most common error I see is the use of too much green. I use pastels, watercolor pencils, and airbrush paints. The Rick Krane fish painting dvd's really helped me step up my snapper painting. Its all about building the colors.

I'm not kidding, I tint every color in some form. Burnt sienna, mars red, yellow ochre are my go to airbrush colors. You will want flesh. Candy paynes gray is a great color for tinting darker areas too. I may add some white to lighten them and add black or brown to darken them as I tint. I like the Woods & Waters medium green to give a transparent, greenish hue.

I know this isn't the answer you hoped for, but that's how snappers go; it will challenge you more so than most other critters you mount.

3. vincer15

vincer15 New Member

Thanks for the info.This is my first turtle.It has been a learning experience. I have the turtle mounted,just have to paint it.I have the DVD,but figured the more information the better.I'll have to post a picture when it's done to see what you think of it.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

The only green ..........

The only green that I have seen on a snapper is from algae stain or algae.

:)

Kerby...

5. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    The reptile replicas that McKenzie sells come with painting instructions so you may be able to purchase a paint schedule from the producer.....Morgans in N.C. I think.