1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beauchene tiger skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kendall, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Hi,
    I just recently completed this beauchene skull of a tiger. This skull was from a juvenile and started coming apart during the cleaning process, so lent itself very well to this type of display. I used hot glue to attach clear acrylic rods to the bones. If they were not quite aligned, I used my wife's embossing heat tool to soften the glue and re-position. I also used the heat tool to soften the acrylic rod to bend it for the mandibles. After the bones were in place I dipped each piece in paraloid.
    Kendall

Attached Files:

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Totally fricking cool save. I like it.

3. Guus

Guus Member

Very nice display and very educational! I like your choice of using acrylic, it's something different than the usual brass wire and looks good!

4. Very nice display yes :) I have to try something similar one day too.

5. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Looks very cool. Where did you get your acrylic?

6. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

All the acrylic came from a company in Wichita called Lustercraft Plastics. It is fairly inexpensive. The 3/16" stick costs a few bucks.

7. Gunnin4ursoul

Gunnin4ursoul Member

That's so cool 8)

8. DomM

DomM New Member

Cool! It looks like its exploding! Very neat, you did an amazing job. ;)

9. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Very nice work Kendall. As others said, I really like the use of acrylic as well, will have to give it a try as well (both Beauchene skulls and acrylic!). Was it your first?

10. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Yes, this was my first attempt at a Beauchene skull. I saw lots of photos of other Beauchene skulls and most used metal supports of one type or another which I think distracts from the beauty of the bones. I am an educator (part-time) and have plans to demonstrate this skull in A and P classes.
    Kendall

11. qwackorama

qwackorama New Member

awesome!! how did you do it??

12. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Sweet mount love this type of display.