1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyone mount a longnose gar?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by henderson6989, Jan 28, 2014.

1. henderson6989

henderson6989 New Member

i have a bunch of gar in my freezer i would like to start to mount including my biggest one this year anyone ever mount one and how did you do it and preserve it
    im assuming the technique would be different as there skin is pretty tough and did you use forms to mount on? any help is apprecitated thanks

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

The fishheads ...........

The fishheads hang out on the Fish Forum.

:)

Kerby...

3. I'd preserve it same way I preserve other fish. Make templates on freezer paper and carve a form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RobertK

RobertK New Member

I have mounted two so far. Couldn't find any paint schedules so i had to wing it in that dept other than the scales it was easy any questions ask away.

5. John L

John L Active Member

I heard somewhere you can stuff the gar with saw dust like you would fish fill as you sew then when dry use a hole saw in the back of the fish to remove a hole large enough to remove the saw dust and then you have a light weight dried fish to finish. Haven't tried it though.

6. henderson6989

henderson6989 New Member

what did you guys use to close up the fish to get through those tough scales

7. RobertK

RobertK New Member

i first glued and tacked the skin until the two sides met, then used 2 part epoxy sculpt to fill the seam. Cutting those scales caused some damage ,but the epoxy sculpt smoothed everything out and once painted you couldn't tell the difference. Got alot of compliments because it had that seamless look. Tip is let the epoxy sculpt cure or harden a bit then start working it with water or safety solvent and a paint brush ( use an tooth brush to texture ). Use the epoxy to rebuild the facial ares and underneath the gills ( all these areas generally shrink so let them and just rebuild those ares) also the anus and areas near the fins . As it dries these areas will become obvious. get tom sextons books on mounting bass it's primarily the same.

8. RobertK

RobertK New Member

I used tin snips to get through the scales but next time i might try a dremel with a cut wheel and see if that's any easier.

9. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Nail him to a tree let dry and paint. Search, "How long does it take to mount a gar?" It was discussed a couple mos. ago.

10. Use the sawdust method mentioned. You can sew it using a good strong thread sew between the scales. You can get up under and between the scales with a needle the skin isn't that tough to poke a needle through. Pack with sawdust as you sew it up. I put a board in Also to screw to when anchoring to driftwood. After dry dump the sawdust out and fill with expanding foam. The skin will basically hold its shape after skinning. Easy fish to mount. Just make sure to degrease good.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire