1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about a hog mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Morganfamily31, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Morganfamily31

Morganfamily31 New Member

I'VE GOT A HOG MOUNT THE SMALLEST I COULD FIND WAS 8INCH FROM EYES TO NOSE AND I NEEDED A 7INCH .. I AM WONDERING CAN I CUT OFF THE NOSE AND REMOVE ABOUT A 1INCH AND RE-ATTACH IT OR IS IT POSSIBLE I COULD STRETCH THE CAPE.. TYPICALLY DO YOU WANT THE CAPE TO BE TIGHT OR LOOSE ? I UNDERSTAND IT WILL SHRINK AS IT DRYS IF IT'S TO TIGHT WILL IT TEAR?? I AM TOTALLY NEW TO TAXIDERMY AND HAVE NO CLUE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED .. :eek:

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Test fit then alter if needed....DC

3. RobertK

RobertK New Member

Ok don't stretch the cape, you are forcing things and when you do that bad things tend to happen. I would take a step back, re measure and reassess the situation. Start by learning to alter the mannikin or form ( most never fit exact anyhow). It is actually quite easy and you will be amazed at just how crafty you can get once that light bulb goes off in your head. Seriously, re-measure and find the exact distance of error. Make a sketch of the animals head and annotate measurements all information will be transferred to the manikin. mark a cut line ( between corner of the mouth and the eye) making sure it is as close to even as possible. Next, section that distance into THREE EQUAL parts and mark them all the way around( i used a caliper for this making a dot in the center of the nose as the start point so it will be accurate) and mark horizontal reference marks too. Now cut the nose/mouth section off( i used a regular handsaw at first then as experience built switched to a sawzall or recipricating saw) then cut off each section or wedge in succession. Now do your math to find out how much space you need in between each piece to make up the difference. Next, cut some wire ( i just used some coat hanger wire and straightened it out) and lined up all the cut off pieces and ran several wires straight thru until it just poked out a wee bit. Next place that wired section back on the mannikin, line everything up and push those wires deep in the mannikin, any excess simply snip off ( I cut into the mannikin and fill the divet with clay so there are no snags by the cut wire). Okay now start pulling your sections back and seperating the pieces until you have the correct space you need. I fill the VOIDS or open spaces with bondo or 2 part expanding foam. Wrap with pastic wrap and duct tape, cut a hole on top of each hole and pour in your filler. Let the filler cure and remove your wrapping and its done with the exception of shaping and finishing! Tip-if you use bondo don't let it cure all the way, once it sets remove the wrapping and trim the excess away it's ALOT EASIER. Foam no sweat
    I am sure there are other methods but this one worked for me countless times and saved me some serious stress free nights! Hope it helps

4. RobertK

RobertK New Member

That was in depth and for elongating, but you get the point. Reductioin is just the opposite, for your 1 inch remove it and reattach wth wire and bondo consider that a longwinded freebee! Seriously i hope it helps.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I have a 7 inch Coombs hog form if you are interested and haven't gone the altering route yet.