1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcats, foxes and coons, oh my!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Scarab Artistry, Jan 30, 2014.

1. I was at one of my taxidermist clients yesterday, picking up the weekly load of deer heads and got a nice present. He presented me with a bag of about half a dozen little heads in it. he informed me that he had been saving all the skulls from his small full body mounts and this was a bag of bobcats and foxes. Well this particular client is a brother fireman from across the river, so naturally he thought I may have a use for them so he gave them to me. The really sweet thing is he has a bunch more "somewhere around here." So I set about this evening at the station, cleaning all these little heads. I ended up with 2 foxes, 3 bobcats and a very old raccoon. So here's the thing, of all the stuff brought to me over the years, this is a first. Never done a coon, bobcat or a fox. They are all so dang cute and tiny! I know a lot of you guys have done these little guys before but this is my first time. Now looking at the meat and taking in consideration these are little carnivores (and the bobcat looks kinda like a tiny, squished black bear skull) I am guessing these guys are going to be heavy with grease. Am I correct on this?

2. All are fairly easy to degrease. The bobcats MIGHT come out blood stained, at least it seems to be common with them. Depends on a lot of different factors but just takes a bit longer degeasing and a few peroxide soaks if it occurs. But by far no wear near as bad a bears.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Coons can have some grease but the cats and foxes will be easy. Blood stains might be more of an issue but they come out too.

4. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

To me, bobcats are not easy to degrease. They are as tough as any of them and can also be blood stained. I do quite a few bobcats to sell in more store and less than half turn out perfect which is what I strive for.

5. A peroxide soak right after maceration/beetles will help prevent the staining. All my skulls get a soak in about half peroxide and half rubbing alcohol after maceration. Helps with the smell too.

6. I will do a peroxide soak on them when they get out of the bugs then. I'm just excited to have something out of the norm for me. I was looking at how tiny the teeth are. Compared to dealing with elk and deer, they are miniscule. Thank you for the responses.

7. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I haven't had a chance to do a bobcat yet, however I have done coon & fox before. How do you plan on cleaning these…maceration, beetles? I once beetle cleaned some coons, degreased them for 2 months in 120 degree water with dawn, and they STILL need more work. Same with the fox. Even tho it didn't seem very greasy, it still took twice as long as I think it should have taken.

Then I went and tried to macerate a coon(never did it on anything other than a white tail before). It sat in the rot tank for about 8 or 9 days. I only had to degrease it for a total 7 days & it looks AMAZING! It still does today. It may have been a fluke because every skull is different, but I really think it proves how great the maceration process works...

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

X2 on bobies being tough. Just sent home some with a taxi and a bunch of bears, the bobcats took twice as long as some of the bears, dont know what it is but their jaws ans eyesockets are horrible for me at lease. Be carful for the teeth also.

9. I am using the beetles. My wife is very much against me macerating them. Dog, I was marveling over how tiny the teeth are. I think I am going to employ the ole pantyhose trick I use from gators to keep everything together. The ladies at Walmart always give me funny looks when I buy 10 pair of the little stockings. But I always just tell them they make my calves look great and go on with my day......

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

11. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I've used paint strainers from the paint store but its really easy for me because I paint also and I'm there getting actone but ill have to see what is cheaper now

12. sea j

sea j New Member

Newbie here....what is the pantyhose trick for smaller skulls....and any more tricks? Just joined and have been reading for days and this site is awesome.....learning as much as I can.....Thanks to all!

13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Some people put a head in pantyhose to keep the teeth in the sockets when macerating small skulls. I find that this just makes a mess as the pantyhose traps a lot of rotted material inside. Even with small skulls, teeth really only fit properly in the right socket. You might be using tweezers to pick the teeth up with really small animals but this generally is not an issue. There are no real tricks with maceration other than keeping your water heated to at least 80 degrees until the bone is completely clean.