1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer time

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by cessna, Jan 31, 2014.

1. cessna

cessna New Member

I just found out this morning that a hide I had skinned for life-size and brought to my taxidermist last February 7th (2013)
    is still in the freezer. Its as I left it with him. How long is this hide good for that way? I really find this unacceptable.
    And will probably take it from him. I would really like it mounted, but don't want to put someone else's screw-up on
    another taxidermist.

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

That length of time should be NO problem. Relax.

3. Won't be a problem, I had a client bring me a whole frozen deer head from 2006, tips of ears were a little freezer burnt!

4. cessna

cessna New Member

Thanks, just getting a little nervous.

5. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I agree, Joe. I just finished one from the 2008 season that was in the customer's freezer for five years. What a b**ch it was turning those ears! He barely had it wrapped. The nose looked like a raisin, eyelids freezer burnt. It turned out ok - after some rehydrating - but after tanned it was good to mount.

6. I recently finished an otter for a customer that had been skinned and in the freezer folded fur side out = no bag since 2010. Turned out fine. Had to spend a bit more time on rehydrating than I like and skinning the feet was no fun, but the mount looks good.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Maybe he is waiting on a deposit. Now if you have a deposit down and his turn around time is a year then I would be worried.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Member

I did a bobcat rug that had been in the freezer for 10 years. Ears wete burnt on the tips but turned out just fine.

9. cessna

cessna New Member

Hammer, This particular animal was paid for up-front. As far as relaxing is concerned. I feel I can expect a reasonable turn-a-round time. Twelve months in a freezer without being prepared and sent for tanning is NOT acceptable. I understand good taxidermy takes a time frame of between 12 and 14 months generally. I feel that some taxidermist think they are doing me a favor in mounting my game. Unfortunately I feel as a customer I have the right to expect certain things. These do not include having things buried at the bottom of a freezer and forgotten. I remember reading a post several years ago on this site that dealt with just this issue. The issue was why some taxidermist do much better than others. The bottom line is they offer a dependable and reliable service to their customers. It's lately been my feeling that too many taxidermist are too full of themselves and forget the customer. I recently took another animal to a taxidermist who was as professional acting and whose work and time frames were designed for his customers. His work quality was excellent. Taxidermist for a hunter is a choice, the hunter for a taxidermist is a requirement.