1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

To sew or not to sew?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dstreet, Feb 1, 2014.

1. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I am attempting to remount a pintail that I did a crappy job on the first time around. I noticed that At some point I tore the eye hole. Is this something I should sew or just try to tuck into the clay? It may be a 3/16 or 1/4 inch tear coming from the eye.

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Just my opinion I sew every hole in the head. Ever since I had caulk ooze out of a hole and it made a mess . rather be save then sorry.

3. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Ok thanks. I didn't know if the sewing would affect anything that close to the eye. I have had caulk come out and that is awful.

4. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

personally I don't sew. I have had the same thing many times. I just put a drop or two of superglue on the clay behind the skin and use tweezers to place the skin on the clay over the glue. hold it there just as you want it for 10 or 15 seconds and let dry. smooth the feathers together to not see the skin meeting up and you'll never know. maybe I just made that sound too hard or too easy I can't tell. but it's very simple and quick. be conservative with the glue though.