1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize, how do you prefer them molded and shipped?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rudy Eppley, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Hey guys, just trying to get a feel for things, we keep going back and forth on life size forms, were trying to figure out how the best way to mold them will be. Seems like the bigger shops would prefer them in one piece so that they can do what they want with them, but not cut up since most of the time they would go freight anyway. Where smaller shops with things going UPS or Fedex, guys would like them in more pieces.

Were thinking for something say the size of a Mt lion, to do it in two pieces, all legs attached, but a cut up through the body. That way it can still ship fedex, but larger shops it would still be mostly assembled.

I just want to make sure we play both sides of the fence, I just want to make it worthwhile for everybody. I remember a larger shop on here posting about a company cutting all the legs off his bears and he was really mad, just trying to make sure we dont do something similar.

On our side were trying to do it where its poured apart, that way we dont have to get the saw out every time someone orders one too. Obviously some legs will need to be removed on some things, say a reaching mt lion for instance, just so people can get some relief too. Although I guess it depends too if its dorsal or H incision. Id prefer on larger stuff to keep as many legs on as possible, but for the smaller stuff it seems they would best be in pieces, like a bobcat or something. Something like what Brian Harness has, not with the patented posts like he has, but just disassembled. Those are really nice when you have a short incision to begin with.

Let me know,
    Thanks
    Rudy

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Rudy, I DO make decisions based an how much time and foam it's going to take to re assemble Prefer whole cast. And I order 90% without rods. Don't like 1/2's
    If you make 1/2's , be a ground breaker and v cut it then mold it . Yes it takes more to make the mold but aligns better here. Becomes a easy one man put together.
    Sucks on your part for selling it in a 1/2 life-size but my world will never be perfect...LOL I've quit hoping... ;D
    Get complete feet on them either hoof or foot bones, helps the younger guys out and my guys...
    Tired of club foot mammal mannakins....and missing hoof bones on those type species.

It's all about time, That's translates into money.....

3. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Totally agree with Dennis.

If they are molded in halves it means you still have to cut the foam skin off where they go back together, so then getting the two halves to line up properly becomes a problem.

Far better to chopsaw if it needs it; or ship whole if possible.

4. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Ditto to the above,,, there is always a pressure bulge that ends up being an ever so slightly rounded surface that has to be cut off to allow bondo adhesion anyway.
    I mold my larger life size like sambar in halves purely as a supplier convenience for shelf storage, ,,,and flat so they balance comfortably on the racking shelf,,, that's looking at the convenience from your / our side. Have never had problems with using bondo to glue a form back , and in Australia I ask all my life size i buy in for jobs to be cut as many times possible to fit in a minimal number of shipping boxs . At 70 plus dollars a box, that adds up where andy form bought is double the price landed here.
    You won't please everyone , what is important Rudy is that the manufacturing cost of these forms ( your time making and assembling multi piece molds) doesn't blow out at your end as obviously this will have to be tacked onto the starting cost of EVERY purchase of that model.

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Me too, mold it whole then cut it. Much better.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mold complete and then hire someone who can be taught to wedge cut the form before shipping. They should be forced to see a guy in a one man shop trying to align a l/s Muslim that's been sliced straight across.

7. I have purchased forms that were cut for shipping and really have no complaints with that. Heck, I hack away at a large percentage of the forms I get anyway to get a perfect fit. As a customer, shipping costs are very important to me. It bites when the cost of shipping almost matches the cost of the form. I ALWAYS check shipping costs. There have been times I have purchased from a different supplier based on that alone.

8. So even legs that would have to be cut off for relieve when mounting, you would still prefer to be molded together then apart? Never really thought of the skinned over part of the halves.

Maybe for a leg a person could go 1/4 inch in on the leg and build a clay stump that could be cut off after molding that way its poured separate but you still have 90 percent open celled foam for adhesion

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I can get a LS big bear molded in 2 halves then the legs cut up and boxed in 2 UPS or FED boxes same goes for a lion or larger LS 2 boxes UPS 150.00
    2 hours time at least to put together and refinish the cut spending 25.00 on foam = another 155.00 in cost....

OR I can get a whole LS uncut fully cast one piece LS shipped by truck $125
    Who's do you think I'm buying?

10. For sure Dennis, I'm thinking of molding this cat like this

Put a parting line around the belly, from other build a dam for parting it in two pieces. Fiberglass the whole thing with the dam in the center. Take it apart its now on two halves, then fiberglass v cuts in.

You call me say you want it whole we pour it that way. Or if ups keep it apart and pour it with v cuts already in foam

11. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

This wouldn't change even if you had the V cut. Still would have the skin to deal with. Even worse because you would have 4 surfaces to deal with instead of two.

So you are pouring foam on clay? Wow what a pain in the butt for you, and the open cell foam would be packed with clay. the taxidermist would still have to cut it off to get good adhesion of the bondo.

Rudy the easiest lifesize form to mount on is a form that fits. Its a hundred times harder to alter a form that is a great pose but a little too big than to alter a plain posed form that fits, into an action pose that fits.

Again I agree with Dennis. No matter the pose that I have in mind I would order a plain standing form THAT FITS! with no steel in it before I ordered the exact pose I need that doesn't fit. Any day of the week. Cutting and gluing back is a fact of taxidermy life. I would rather make a half dozen easy ones with minimal grinding and shaping than 3 dozen cuts and a full day re-surfacing.

12. I agree wit these guys above. I very seldom order LS with rods. I absolutely hate the way all the LS are being made like a jigsaw puzzle. You get a head , a leg or two and the main body in 2 pieces. You have to assemble everything and then test your skin fit, then cut it all apart and do your alterations and reassemble. Twice as much work and twice as much foam for the same finished product. If a taxidermist is doing 2 bear or deer size LS a year they should be ordering by truck anyway. Its way less money to ship. One LS a year might be a push on cost I dont know. I cant help but think that suppliers are making things easier on them selves at the taxidermist expense. We do over 20 large LS a year and seems we work harder just putting things back together----- JUST TO START.

If I could buy a form thats together, I would put my money on it every time !

13. duxdown

duxdown New Member

GEORGE!!! We as Christians gotta stop that, hahaha! You know they come in a thousand peices most of the time ;D

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pour whole, cut when needed. The amount of time it takes a minimum wage guy with a sawall on your end to cut it equates to a 30.00 and hour guy spending 10 times the amount of time to put it back together on our end, plus materials.

No brainer.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Will. I KNOW I need to proofread every DROID post yet I'm surprised every time at the reach that phone has in Auto correct mode. It was SUPPOSED TO READ "manikin".