1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First diver

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Wild2089, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Wild2089

Wild2089 New Member

Hey all,

This is my first post, but I have been reading along and watching these post for over a year, learning as much as I could before I tried to do some of my own birds. This is only my 4th bird, and I am not progressing as quickly as I thought I would to say the least, but I am having a lot of fun learning! My biggest struggles come with fleshing the skin, and getting the wings to set in the wing pocket well. I just recently built a flesher out of a bench grinder and used it on two birds, one black duck and a gadwall, with mixed results. I didn't experience the burning or tearing as I was very careful not to apply too much pressure, but I definitely didn't get enough fat off, and I will still have to go back over it with scissors, so I didn't really get much benefit from the machine? Hopefully Ill be able to meet up with a real taxidermist and see how to get the skin as clean as possible. (Yes I have checked the previous 1000 posts on fleshing, I just need to see it done by an expert to really get it)

Anyway, this bufflehead was in the freezer for a year, and I don't posses the skills to remove and re hydrate the freezer dried feet, so I figured I would try it an see how it came out. I have since painted the feet. I will do better to take better pictures this weekend, but this will have to do.

Attached Files:

2. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

nice job man. looks great! I am on maybe my 10th bird. just started mastering the fleshing wheel a couple birds ago. just take your time. and always keep the skin moving, never stop. and you can always go back over a spot. I do the whole bird twice with the wheel in one sitting. that way I know I haven't missed anything. keep it up!

3. webfoot123

webfoot123 New Member

the main thing with fleshing is to be careful and don't get in a hurry because that's when bad things happen

4. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I'm new at this too. I think your buffy looks great for a 4th duck. One thing that I've had luck with recently is after you flesh with the wheel, put the dawn on the bird and scrub it with a scrub brush. Not to hard but it will wash the fat away way and you'll see what you're trying to get as far as a clean skin. You're birds will mount way better once they are clean. I still struggle with the wing pockets too. I mounted a gadwall a couple weeks ago that was in the freezer for 4 years. I soaked the feet in warm soapy water over night and then injected them the next day with a syringe and they came right back! Keep at it. The more you practice it will get easier. I'm still never satisfied with how my birds look yet but just keep trying to do better on the next one. I don't know if you bought any dvds but some of them show the fleshing process pretty well.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Nice job!

6. donrutlege

donrutlege Guest

Just for future reference....any bird with freezer burned feet can be rehydrated. Use a diabetic syringe/needle. Put warm water into a small bowl and add several drops of dawn liquid soap. Inject the feet and legs in several places. They will look like new in no time.

7. donrutlege

donrutlege Guest

PS - you can also still do this on your bufflehead and by the way - damn nice bird!