1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another try at a Pintail

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dstreet, Feb 1, 2014.

1. dstreet

dstreet New Member

Well I mounted my buddies first pintail for him a few weeks ago and it was not good... The breast was flat as a pancake, the legs were to long and the neck wasn't even close to being right.

Attached Files:

2. dstreet

dstreet New Member

So I decided to try to redo him.....

Attached Files:

3. dstreet

dstreet New Member

I gave him a bath... Soaked him overnight, remounted him, and ended up with this today. At least he looks more like a duck now. If you see any obvious problems I should fix let me know. I still have to paint him again and do some grooming but its better then it was.

Attached Files:

4. donrutlege

donrutlege Guest

Your first pic - the bird looks pretty good....a little far back as for the way it is standing, but not bad. The second pic is not as good a mount as the first. Too much neck. This is a problem for you trying your first few birds. Unless the bird is alert and is in the proper position to have the neck extended that far out, you need to tuck the neck into the breast so there is not too much showing. Newmyer has a really good book that illustrates this from WASCO.

5. donrutlege

donrutlege Guest

You nailed it on the third try. Just groom it up clean and you got it. Nice job!

6. dstreet

dstreet New Member

The first two pics are the same mount. It's just different camera angles. You can see how flat the breast is because I brought the neck straight back instead of down and then back. I'd like to check out the pictures you're talking about. Messing around with the carcass is giving me a better understanding of how their necks work.

7. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Are you airbrushing the feet? I would not have as harsh a paint job, but other than that it looks shaped nicely.

8. Sprigpig1

Sprigpig1 Member

Great job it looks a lot better... I do agree with twinter on the feet. Maybe just lightly feather the black accents in rather than make them so apparent. Other than that great job.

9. Very nice job! I have remounted a few and it can get frustrating, but when it turns out nice it is worth the effort.