1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding fish with open gills

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by [email protected], Oct 9, 2006.

1. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Got in a nice 9 3/4 lb. largemouth today. Want to make a mold with the gills exposed(open). So the question is: do you use hi-fiber to fill in under the gill cover and make the mold over that or do you cast the head with spread gill covers(opercula) separately from the body? Or put another way: how do you make a mold with open gills?

Thanks for the response.

jerry

2. newbirdman

newbirdman New Member

Jerry , I've been doing this for almost 40 years and I have never cast the head separately . Just fill the gill area with high fiber and mold the whole fish in one piece each side . After you make your blank , just cut out the fiberglass over the gills and add your fake gills into the space . Rick

3. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Rick, when you fill in the gill area with high fiber, do you fill up to the edge of the collar bone or do you fill straight down from the edge of the gill cover and consequently loose scale detail between the collar bone and the pectoral fin? I've seen molds and casts with open gills and they all seem to require a lot of scale detail work in the area under the gill cover. Any further help will be appreciated, the big bass is still in the freezer.

thanks, jerry