1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reinhart Manikins with pre-set eyes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dangonrob, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Dangonrob

Dangonrob Guest

Has anyone on here used the pre set eyed manikins? If so what are your thoughts on them? I am thinking about using a reinhart manikin for my next white tail deer.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Most people prefer the option of setting the eye themselves, and using the tuck method with the eye lids. Theres plenty that still use this form, however...citing the need for a preset eye because they cant yet, or find these forms faster to mount, especially if they use the lay method with eyelids.

3. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Prefer to set my own... I know of a couple of taxidermist in the St. Louis County area that use them because it's just one thing they don't have to screw with but it does have issues and not something I would take to a competition not even a local one.

4. The preset eyes are awsome! You can also change the expression with clay and if you are good at detail work you can't tell the difference between preset and self set. As far as competitions go i can not tell you but i think if finished right they would do just as well. I can set my own eyes but as far as time and money go and turn around i only use presets and i beagn useing them at Mr Rhineharts school and love them.

5. One more thing! Make sure you pin the eyes in the front and rear corner and one up from front corner and use plenty of hide paste! Have'nt had any shrinkage or pull from mine yet.
    Give one a try and see how you like the preset eyes, it's really the only way to find out friend.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've used John Rineharts ones and they gave me a decent generic eye. They have molding issues. You still have to use a knife to get them right. You can run a scalpel between the glass and foam eye lid and tuck the lid and the foam will lock it in place. You can't do a rotated eye or anything " custom." I started doing my own because when I used a contour gauge, it showed that there was a big difference from one eye to the other, so the symmetry was way off. I figured I could do that myself. You are also limited to those forms, so when a customer asks for a more custom form and he is used to the ones you do for him, he will expect the same eye set that you have always given him. To do this you need to buy two forms if the Rinehart form poses aren't close enough to alter. It becomes a pain when you start doing more than just the standard poses. If you learn how to do your own you have more freedom and options, but if you just want to do basic commercial standard poses then they work just fine.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I assume you are asking about Dan Rineharts forms. They are leaps and bounds better than John Rineharts from the looks of them. I must confess, I have a repeat customer and I asked if I could try Dan's new elk form with the preset eyes and he agreed. It had some eye symmetry issues that I was able to correct easily with clay and a neck bulge that went from, something like 32" to 38" in about two inches span. The catalog said it was a 32". I have heard that the deer forms have the same issues. I don't see me using them again as the forms are, 1. extremely limited to one style of pose, 2. I can set the eyes myself just as well or maybe better, and 3. I can save a ton of money on shipping by driving to Research Mannikins. The customer loved the mount as well as the ones I did for him before, but said he was a little more partial to the ones I did before. He said the ones before had a little more personality that showed in the eyes as related to the movement. He was fully aware that I was trying out preset eyes on his dime in advance and agreed to it without any deception on my part, just to be clear. I told him to scrutinize the eyes and that was what he came up with.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I got a friend who uses them a lot. saves him time and money he says. to each his own.

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Damn it Boy. If you can't find anything nice to say then keep your damn mouth shut. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

10. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    I use them when i can. The forms are limited in size so sometimes i do order from other company's, but when possible i do buy his forms. I think there great no messing with clay and save's a ton of time plus free ear liners. Can't beat that deal

11. I have used both john and dan rhineharts and dan has the best form by far. my customers are very pleased with the eyes and the eyes are almost identical from one another. everyone has their own favorite and own way of doing things though.

12. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

learn to set your own eyes, you wont be sorry you did.

13. X2

I learned on the preset eye forms, then I bought Rick Carter A to Z whitetail DVD. Started setting my own eyes on OTS forms and few from Mckenzie that some of my customers like and my deer look 10X better. Use reference - I also have the Joe Meder reference head nearby when shaping the eyes. Get the Rick Carter DVD. It's worth 1000's of dollars that could be wasted in materials. Rewatch each section before moving on to next step. Print off lots of close up reference. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. pikes peak

pikes peak 2011 deer i mounted

theres nothing wrong with john's preset eyes . I can set my own eyes on a form that john doesn't have . you should learn to set your own eyes for more options on the forms you display , I have used them many times , with the preset eyes you use and mold the eye the way you want it , let the eye set for a few hours , then come back with super glue and lift it a little ( buy that time it will hold it shape that you shaped it in ) add the super glue and press back to were it was . I have mounts that have never drummed or shrink using super glue on the eyes

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

If you thin your eye lids well and use good hide paste your eyes will not drum. The skin still has memory and will stay put. For added insurance I ran a scalpel blade between the glass and foam eye lid and tucked it. It worked great and locked it in. My issues with Johns where not the head but the neck and brisket. Dan's look like they have a lot more detail in the neck and brisket area.

16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

When I started I used the preset from John and moved onto doing it myself. Most of Dan's forms are available without the preset I believe so if you like the form but not the eyes, just order without and do your own.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

When I first started out, preset eyes allowed me to concentrate on other things, like ears, lips, nose, and hair patterns and still have a decent mount. When I got those learned pretty well, then I turned my attention to the eyes. I had practiced eyes with oil based clay on replacement heads long before my first mount, so I could do a decent eye but I just wanted to work on other areas and not worry about the eyes at the time.