1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer cape stretching

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bosswald, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bosswald

bosswald Member

I used the Wildlife Gallery for tanning my deer capes and they won't stretch at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stertch a deer cape just enough to fit on a form?

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Why don`t you call your tannery for tip`s . 8)

3. Bosswald, Are they wet or dry tanned? Synthitic or Alum?

4. I use a inertube. Just inflate

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. point75

point75 Active Member

I use Wildlife Gallery syn tans and I get decent stretch. I briefly rinse the cape in cold water then hang it for an hour. I then blot it with towels. I never have an issue getting at least an inch of extra play compared to my original measurements.

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I just sent back a dozen capes for retan. I was getting nowhere near te stretch I used to. They said about a year ago they had an issue with their oils and it was affecting the stretch. It's supposedly straightened out now. I would call and have them rush a retan for you..

7. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Wildlife Gallery syn tan is as good as you will find. or I have found in 20+ years. Not likely you got a "bad batch" but I suppose that's possible.

Rehydrate per their instructions, sweat it overnight and stretch it by hand or use Brian Samuel's hide stretcher available at Research or McKenzie. It is money well spent, saves a lot of wrestling and make "tight" mounts easy.

Good Luck

8. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Yep, what I was told as well. Just sent them some so anxious to see if they will stretch better now cause they definitely had an issue, and will admit they did and are correcting it with new oil (supposedly)

9. Just got a batch of whitetails last week from them and the stretch is great on them!

10. I use Modern Fur which is owned by the Wildlife Gallery. They did in fact change their tanning method within the last year. After numerous complaints they have since switched back to the original tan. The last batch I received was not up to their ususal high quality standards. They offered to re-tan all my capes at no charge and assured me the problem was corrected. Their customer service is always outstanding, if your having issues just call them, they will make it right.