1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you measure a bear skin for lifesize mount?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by IAtaxi, Feb 3, 2014.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Kinda scratchin my head here a bit as I have no carcass measurements. I'll post 3 photos one is girth 38", one is what I would call relaxed length 54", and one is what I would call rolled out length 61". Custemor wants a standing mount. Trying to figure which length measurement I should use. The girth goes better with the more relaxed length in selecting forms. But I don't want to order something to small as it would be a nightmare to return/50+$ mistake. I was told this was a big for a black bear but looking at form sizes I'm not so sure. Anyhow heres the photos, let me know what length measurement you would use the 61 or 54 or maybe something inbetween? Thanks Doug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For you see that white NOx above that says "Search"? Click on it and type in: "What I know about bears".

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Is that skin tanned ?

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

The customer always thinks they are big. That sounds more like an average bear to me. Probably 150 -200 lbs

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

A stiff tape measure isnt going to cut it, Get a soft tape, Stretch the bear for width, then length, and back to width again.. and measure the bear tip of nose to base of tail, thats your length measurment. . then nose to eye measurment. you can do width Circ around belly for kicks. find a form thats the closest in length Nose to eye, and length. modify form to fit your skin. no two bears are the same and very seldom will a bear skin fit a form right out of the box.

that hide looks pretty greasy and poorly tanned IMO.

7. dablaw

dablaw Member

Just a little tidbit...When you pull a skin whether it be for a circ. measurement or length or whatever, your going to end up losing inches off the opposite measurement...just lay it out natural without distorting it, fold it where its laying flat and take your measurements..When in doubt go a tad smaller, or if you wanna get every single inch out of it get a form smae size or a tad larger and shave with a rasp and re-fit as you go until you have the perfect fit...Not that hard just time consuming...Good luck..

8. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I asked if it was tanned because that is a very greasy skin and will smell after it is mounted if left as is.