1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration Question???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bones N Beasts, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Got a call the other day and this guy has a bear skull and paw that's been sitting in a bucket for years he says. He told me it was opened a year ago had smells awful and he wants me to put the skull back together. So my question, is there anything left and can it go back together Ive reassembled skulls before but I have never macerated anything so I don't know what I would be getting into thanks for any help

2. If its a mature bear then yes you'll be fine. Juveniles will fall apart when macerated.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If indeed "years" as he says, has this been in water all this time? If so, expect some degradation of the bone in places if it was an adult. If it was a juvenile .. worse. Plastic bucket or a metal one? Let him know up front that it probably will be permanently stained as well a having bone and tooth damage. Don't be gentle with him. He possibly ruined a skull and wants you to fix it now. I would suggest getting at least half your fee up front, non refundable. Take pictures of what you get and have him sign something that states that you can make no guarantee of 100% success due to the condition. What he gets back will be your best and may not be what he is looking for. Maceration is one thing. Neglect is another.

4. Bones N Beasts

Thanks for the help ill ask what type of bucket but I would think plastic. I will let him know to expect the worst thing possible and if he gets better than that hes very lucky ill be charging extra for this one forsure

5. Sea Wolf

If it has been sitting in the bucket dry for all this time it would be better. It still may come out permanently stained in areas though.

6. Bones N Beasts

I think its been in water the whole time but im not sure

7. Sea Wolf

Just for giggles, when you get it, take pictures. If you tackle it, I'd love to see before and after pictures.

8. Bones N Beasts

Will do I think we all will get a good laugh at this one

9. qwackorama

qwackorama New Member

a year!? damn that is a long time! do you have any pict?