1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new to skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by E. Byrd, Feb 5, 2014.

1. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

im in the process of doing a whitetail skull and i just cant seem to get it white enough. ive soaked and soaked the thing and ive also bought 40 volume whitening creme from a local salon. is the cold weather keeping the creme from working right( shop is not heated and its been really cold). any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Firstly, you don't want to be using the creme type of peroxide because it has oil in it. That is why it is so thick. Get the 40 VOL plain which is just peroxide with no additives. Have you gotten al the grease out? Grease in the bone will leave it stained looking.

3. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

that helps and ive degreased it. i was told by a local taxidermist that the creme would work so that may be my problem. ill go back to sallys and get a different kind.

4. Sea Wolf

Try letting it sit in ammonia for a bit before you try to whiten it again. Pictures would help too. The straight peroxide will work a lot better if you are trying to submerge it. It will get all inside and get at stuff you can't reach otherwise like possible bloodstains.

5. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

ill try to figure out how to get pics on here. i went ahead and submerged it in hot water and dawn again till i can get back to sallys for some peroxide. you recommend submerging it in peroxide or the paste. the skull is just keepin a yellow tint. ive been extremely interested in taxidermy for years and even got certified to do shoulder deer mounts but with owning my own roofing business and my wife being in nursing school i havent had the time to dedicate to it that i need to get good. she just graduated so im really planning on getting into it pretty deep this year and maybe ill learn enough and become profecient enough to lay down the roofing gun in a matter of years. Just givin a little history on myself. lol

6. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

it sounds like you have grease in the skull still but had to tell without a pic and Ive found for the peroxide to be at its best it needs heat that's why when hair gets bleached they put you under that heat bowl

7. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

after looking at it, im thinking it is probably grease stains still. how long should i let it soak in the ammonia. it soaked in dawn for about a month but it probably didnt stay warm enough.

8. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Couple weeks or maybe only a week for me it depends on what the solution looks like the dawn should be heated to 120 but don't heat the ammonia it could take few months to get all the grease out but my average time on a deer is two months

9. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

k thanks

10. Sea Wolf

For deer, try and get your heated water to around 120 degrees but not a lot higher. Deer fat is different, more like tallow, and needs a higher temp to soften it up so the detergent can work on it. Ammonia will work at room temp but I would keep it inside and not out where it is chilled.

11. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

thanks a ton folks, the ammonia is appearing to work. i checked today and some of the darker spots are already gone after only bout 40 hrs