1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Adding larger mane to African lions

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by FullCryHounds, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Have a customer that wants to add a larger mane to two African lion mounts. I thought I remembered reading about someone else doing this but am unable to find anything.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I seem to remember John Bellucci posting on this topic a year or so ago. You might be able to find it in the archives or get in touch with him.

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

On the Internet there's a company that makes movie animals. I have seen the material before that is used for manes.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Active Member

I have used the fake manes on two lions, they look great and it is easy to apply. I can not remember the name of tbe company that makes it but I will think about all day now and if I remember I will post it. Like DL says it is a movie prop company. I do remember that it is very expensive stuff.

5. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

found this in the archives. National Hair Technologies out of Mass.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/LifesizeArticles/09b/9927D25695.html

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Animalmakers.com

7. James Marsico

That's them. I had a barber come in a give my mounts hair cuts to match photos refferences after I applied the fake manes.

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

James was the hair mounted on a stretchy backing? The hair I saw was on some stretchy material. Looked really good.

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Angora goat hair would work? Defiantly cheaper than any other thing I could think of.

10. James Marsico

Its on a stretch type small weave material. It stretches really easy and a lot in every direction.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Muskox. Bleaches to the exact right color as well.

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Since the odds of getting a muskox aren't real good I wonder if Yak hide would work. I've seen them for sale.

13. Thanks for the replies. I can get Yak hides, we raise them. I also have access to musk ox but can someone post more info on how to bleach them?

14. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

I used national hair tech hair to repair the mane on this lion. Only about 10% of this mane was actually his. The mane slipped at the tannery and I restored it back to its natural length and size using the photos of the actual lion provided by the hunter.

The hair was on their spandex backing which made it easy to install. No having to dart it around curves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Looks excellent.