1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best turkey heads?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by coryhammett, Feb 6, 2014.

1. coryhammett

coryhammett New Member

Hey guys I'm getting ready to do my first turkey and I'm looking for some advice. What turkey heads do you guys prefer and look the best. I'm open for suggestions because like I said it my first. Thanks

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

freeze dry....the only way to get a nice looking turkey head.....artificial ones are not even close

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Send it to Brett at Boonedocks Taxidermy and use his bodies also. Best around IMO. If you can't wait he stocks heads already to ship in any pose.

4. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    X2

5. jptaxi

jptaxi New Member

IL
    X's 3 for Brett and company top notch

6. I've worked for Brett for about a year now and you'll like the heads give em a try

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've used Brett for the last two years. No complaints and no regrets.

8. coryhammett

coryhammett New Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will be checking out Bretts products. The only place I had contacted so far was Hazel Creek taxidermy here in missouri. Anyone got any opinions on them?

9. hounddog

hounddog New Member

What they said. If you want the attention to detail then go with Brett. Dont use USPS as they are unreliable even with guaranteed delivery times and record cold temps. They didnt hold up their end of the bargain and I had three heads spoil including a rare white tom. Fedex has been spot on for deliveries of heads to Brett. Good luck on your bird.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

If you google freeze dried turkey heads, you will find several companies that do it. A friend of mine swears by Anthony Eddies heads and World Fauna's heads look pretty good on their web site. Gunner's, owned by Harry Whitehead on here, is another to look at. You can go to the home page on this site and click on the destination jump to and click on freeze drying services to check out their sites and work.

11. deerhunter1964

deerhunter1964 Member

Brett at Boonedocks Taxidermy for the bodies and Anglers Freeze Dried out of Ohio for my heads. Great success with both.

12. Fran M

Fran M Member

Noonkester in virginia.has always done fine by me.has spare heads also

13. coryhammett

coryhammett New Member

How about the best training videos? I've got Larry Whiteheads and I read that Tim Jordan has a very good one. Is there anyone else who has a good video? If you guys are wondering , yes I'm a little intimidated by the first turkey. Just want it to turn out ok

14. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Brett's X's 6 or is it 7 now?

15. capnmike

capnmike New Member

Add another to the Brett list.lol

Sent from my B15 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

16. full fan

full fan New Member

Brett has made me a winner more than once over the last few years

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Taxidermy Training Unlimited has a strut DVD by Harry Whitehead. ALso has standing and flying by Danny Owens and gobbling by Andy Campbell. There may be more that they have now. They also have various skinning DVDs for different styles, leg to leg and breast incision. There is fleshing included on these and I believe also on the ones I mentioned earlier.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Since it sounds as if you're just beginning, I have a cold splash of reality about all these glowing comments: most people wouldn't know the difference from one freezedryer to another. I've used most of them and even the prices are almost identical. I spoke to Cally Morris at a convention once where he was selling "seconds" for about half what he wanted for the others. I asked him what the difference was and he told me I probably wouldn't know if he showed me. I didn't even feel insulted because I knew he was correct. I bought all the "seconds" he had left. I've used Cally along with Anthony Eddy. Last week I called Mike Noonkester because he's so close anyway and the head that I got was just as good as I'd expect. I also ordered a body and his insert system and fell in love with that method. Sure beats hell out of pushing #6 wire through a body and trying to anchor it.

19. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

No reason to ever run a #6 wire through a body, to begin with!!

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use these - www.freezedrybycathy.com