1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3 more done. Critique wanted.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

3 more done, please tell me what you think. I hate different aspects on all of them. If i could take what I like from each one i think I might have a decent mount. tell me what you think. a little bit of information on them, all three briskets I had to sew up, and I had to pull one off center a bit to have enough cape to staple to the back. Have at it!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What are your plans for taking a day or two private lesson from someone at your States Association?

5. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I have a few times from the same guy. I still go down and mount up some on his work bench. I learn everytime I go down. I know there is some symmetry problems. I uses ear liners for tje first time on two of them. I sculpted the ear buts as I heald in one hand a premade eat but. It was pretty much dead on. I am not arguing but please tell me what u see that is why I put it on here

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The bumps on the nose pad are to huge and raised to high. The eye shape is wrong, looks like there is an excessive amount of filler around the eye lids.

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I agree for some reason I had a lot more fill work on this group. Thanks low t

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I think its the 2end deer. the deers right eye looks higher than the left one.

9. minehill

minehill Member

The biggest thing I see is there all on straight on forms..put some action in them things..take your time and use lots of reference pics..don't stop knit picking them till your happy..if you see something that don't look right, fix it..and don't let it start drying till all aspects look like the ref pics..

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Throw the black paint away ;) It may be the lighting but the nose and lip look black-black.

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

You might want to take a class with one of the guy`s in the training forum ; if your serious about this. ;)

12. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

Thanks everybody.

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Sometimes it's really really hard to give a critique without sounding like a complete jerk. A couple of times in this tread it has been suggested to you to get with someone for some training. The reason they said that instead of giving more of a critique is simple. You have a lot of areas that need work. It's hard to comment because there's no place to start, and consequently, no place to stop. It is THAT bad? Yes.........it is. I hate to be the jerk, but you need some formal training. A critique really isn't going to help you much. You need help with learning TECHNIQUES. I hope that makes sense to you. I'm not trying to hurt you, but direct you. Whomever you have been exposed to isn't helping you much. A couple of days spent with someone who knows modern day taxidermy would have you up and running much faster than trying to teach you things and ways that are going to sound greek to you. If any of us started dissecting your head, it would end up as a pile on the floor, and none of us want to be that mean and cruel. We're not all pricks. But it's hard to be constructive without being seen as an ashhole sometimes. Get some training. YOU will be glad you did. Trust me.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The guy down the road might be convenient, but he isn't teaching you anything you can't find here. Crack your wallet, get a better teacher. As Verne, Tim and I have suggested, and if you are serious.

Guessing over and over will just empty your wallet. You will not get better by guessing, only by advanced lessons will you go anywhere. Olympic athletes even have trainers.

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well put Tim. You have been given some really good advice, hopefully you can find someone that offers some good one on one courses for you.

16. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

Thanks for the advice. Although I feel as if I am better then these three deer. I am a repetition man. I believe my teacher is a good taxidermist. If anything I am a bad student. I have spent a good chunk of change on taxidermy from private lessons dvd casts referencs. I just dont have the natural ability that most do. But I am not giving up. I still have several more to mount and I will post pictures of my progress.

I dont feel as if anybody was too harsh. I put my work up here for real advice if I wanted smoke blown up my rear I would of asked my wife what she thought of the deer.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Danial, one teacher doesn't teach you everything. The better deer head guys take their mounts to different shows, and get advice from different judges, the associations change judges every year, or every two years, so you can get different advice. Spending money never stops for education. It always cost you something, not seeking continuous training will cost you in materials, and you can not teach yourself something that you do not know. All of us get to that point where only outside help will let you move on.

18. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I agree with you low t.

Although these deer are far from perfect I would not consider them a fail. I believe the customer received a quality mount.

19. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

You're getting great advice here. I would add that you need to be patient. This takes time. Trust me, MOST people that mount a deer with an instructor will produce a nice mount in the workshop then struggle to repeat it on their own. It takes almost everyone a lot of repetition. Very few are "naturals". Good instruction is key

Couple things I've found helpful. Freeze a dead head. Seeing and feeling the anatomy under the hide helped me more than anything to help with ear butts. I have casts, but seeing it and feeling it with the hide on right next to my mount really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jared good piece of advice. Take ur time skinning next head leaving muscle attached to the skull and freeze it. This helped me with not only earbutts but eyes and tearducts.