1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slipping capes from tannery.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by breeze, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Has anyone else from the Texas, Oklahoma area had trouble with slipping capes sent to a tannery in Illinois? They pick up and deliver. I sent four capes with them and when I got them back I thawed one out to mount it and it was slipping bad. Of the four I sent, two had minimal slippage around the ears, one had bad slipping at the back and briscut, which I cut out and saved, and one was slipping all over and unusable. I know for a fact that these were fresh because they were all local deer and I caped and froze them the day they were killed.

2. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I'm having that issue now sent in 5hides so far three of the five have been slipping the the same areas you stated. I used more than enough stop rot, I rubbed in by hand all across hide, I had removed some of the flesh for cheaper shipping. they even picked in the twin cities. I have not idea what happened.

3. gab

gab Active Member

wish I'd seen this post earlier.gave them 15 capes to try them out last week

4. Who's the tannery? Micotan? If so, I feel bad for ya'll.

5. Yes, microtan. I called and he said he would send my a refund on the one I couldn't use. Been almost a year and I am still waiting for the check.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Yeah, I sent three animals to Microtan when I first started out, every one of them slipped. I douse everything in Stop Rot too, just to be safe. Not sure what's going on there.

7. The forum (new and old) is loaded with negative post about Microtan. I seriously don't know why you guys from Texas would send your stuff to Illinois (especially Microtan) when there are so many good skin/prep/tanners out there. :-\

Good luck.

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I called them but they did not call back. I figured a tannery that has an add in the taxidermy mag's would be a trusted place. The last guy that tanned my hides cut limit the amount of work coming in. A first class shop, tanning and taxidermy, won several deer mount awards. Someone that did it all, you cut the cape off freeze it send it to them, when you got your capes back . Your only job was to hang cape on form, they shaved, sewed holes and fleshed everything to perfection.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Seems like every time I get a good thing going like that or a product that is outstanding, something happens and it is discontinued. Then you are left to to start from scratch. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.