1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hyacinth macaw

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fox hunter, Feb 7, 2014.

1. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

i havent been doing bird taxidermy for very long but now have been given a hyacinth macaw, ive done crows, magpies and other corvids, is there anything i should do when it comes to mounting a parrot i should be aware of, any tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

With parrots, you have to make a neck incision just to get the skull inverted and cleaned. Not unlike other birds that have skinny neck that you use the real skull in. I'm not 100% on this, but I washed the two parrots I've done (Sun conure and Budgerigar parakeet). I've read where some bird species shouldn't be washed because they will never get the "fluff" back to their feathers. Hopefully someone who has mounted a Macaw can let you know. Also, the eyes for parrots can be hard to find, but some European companies carry acrylic eyes for many parrot species. Look at reference pictures, watch videos if you can, and get a good idea of how they position their bodies and necks in whatever position you want to mount it in. Good luck and congratulations on getting the largest parrot species known which will soon to be harder to get...

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

the few parrots I've done were extremely fatty ,,but tough skinned too

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I've done a couple. The last one was a yellow head amazon. They are fun to mount.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

What an opportunity , I've done thousands of parrots , some extinct remounts but never a hyacinth!
    First thing is DONT / AVOID an incision on the head, you can either skin out from the face by working along the facial skin line junction with the bill or do a throat incision between the lower bill. On all my standing parrots I incise under the wings to remove the flesh rather than invert as it helps in feather grooming. Replace the muscle with fill before you close up that incision.
    Hyacinth have dark black eyes and gorgeous gold facial skin, getting good eyes won't be a problem. With birds that have this sort of facial detail like Tocos , I have used acrylic caulking to pump up the facial skin, make sure the ear canals are glued down or sewn shut otherwise you may have a sad situation . Let it kick over for half an hour then finish fill with clay to set the eye, use a pin to detail the facial folds into the caulk then set aside and allow to harden. Biggest problem with many guys is that they mount there parrots like ducks,,,, wings high on the back and tucked tight, you will need to wire the wings to get that loose open pose of a large sitting Macaw. Also the legs are squat and bent at right angles, not straight and stiff looking like puddle ducks.
    Carve your own body, yes they can sometimes be fatty , the fluff that has been me mentioned is powder downs like pigeons and herons, , washing will remove if but being a macaw it will not have any major impact than say if it we're a cockatoo like a Roseate or Major Mitchell . Keep the tongue for reference to model up a replacement and get lots of photos of inside that gape,,,,if your customer agrees , see if you can have the skull cast into two reproduction pieces,, it's a skull too neat to destroy

7. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

just like to say thankyou for all the great advice, and if i can do it justice will put a pic up of the finished bird, cheers.