1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tine repair question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mark73, Feb 9, 2014.

1. mark73

mark73 New Member

Guy dropped this off and appears critters got a hold of it. I've played around with some tines but what about the brow tine. Do I build it up then add the bumps the best I can? Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. mark73

mark73 New Member

Another pic

Attached Files:

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Wondering why you would take this in as a job ; when your asking how to do it , hope your customer not a picky person . 8)

4. mark73

mark73 New Member

Sorry Verne, the guy dropped by and wanted me to see what I could do with it " if I wanted to fool with it" thot it would be some good practice. Like I said I've repaired a few smooth tines just asking about the bumps on the brow. No nothing I can make money at but would make for good practice. If I didn't feel like I could do it then I wouldn't attempt it.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

CK out the tutorials there`s some good stuff on antler repair . ;)

6. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks, yes I been going thru them. Have one marked. Like george says it's not rocket science wasn't sure if it be better to add them or make the time bigger and sculpt. I'm still learning Verne this is still new but something I like doing. Hope one day I can be half good as some of you guys

7. verne

verne Well-Known Member

You will ;)

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That won't take much to be as good as I. Drill a single hole in the center of each repair. I use #8 wire. If its a large time, I drill two more for #10 wires. I then use aircraft lock wire (Harbor Freight) and wrap the anchor wire ad tightly as possible. I wrap it completely and then build an armature with Apoxie. When cured, I build character into the job and stain it with lacquer paints. Try to make your rack symmetrical. When you install the anchors, check the corresponding lengths. After you wrap them, you can bend the entire bundle to match the other side.

9. kyddm

kyddm New Member

Mix up some apoxie sculpt and press out flat but leave some thickness to it. Dip in water and press against the other brow tine to imprint the texture. Let the apoxie sculpt set up overnight. Build the brow tine back using George's method and using fix-it sculpt. Wet your template you made and press into your sculpted brow to imprint the texture to it. This will get you started and you can work in some more detail with your modeling tool. Brush with a wet brush to soften the look.

10. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks guys for advice. Been reading and see there several ways. I am going to try the fix-it. Been using just my apoxy sculpt but having trouble with stain and also paint sticking. I believe they make a putty or seam repair mix aswell. I may not be using the correct word.

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? I don't see damage on the one brow tine it has and the other side doesn't look damaged; it just looks like it never grew on that side. Half the deer I get in either don't have both brow tines or only has one. I would repair the damaged ones, but not add one that wasn't there to begin with--unless it was there and I just can't tell from the picture.

12. mark73

mark73 New Member

Sorry boarhunter, must be my pics. I suck at them. But yes there was one there. The skull is pretty weatherd aswell